• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Ranger EGR code nightmare

p9142

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 with a 2.3L 5 speed with almost 170k miles. The truck runs great except I have been battling the check engine light for a couple months. I have replaced the EGR valve, EGR solenoid, and EGR DPFE sensor (twice). Each time I replaced the DPFE sensor the code didn't come back for approximately 500 miles, but once it comes back it throws error codes fairly regularly.

I am getting codes 326, 336, and 337.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
get a dpfe from ford instead of autzone :)

p9142

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The two sensors I got were both from CarQuest, so they should be of decent quality. Is there any chance that the passages could be clogged? I can't seem to find instructions anywhere on how to clean out the passages. My Ford garage is less than helpful. They keep claiming that "It must be the computer," and also that, "These trucks almost never have EGR problems."

p9142

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
bump . . . any ideas on where to find the instructions for cleaning the ports would be greatly appreciated.

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
just get in there with some throttle body cleaner or other solvent and some brushes or whatever you need to get the gunk off. seems pretty self explanatory to me.

beenjammin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if this will help or not, but here goes: A while back my truck threw a p0401 (I think that was the code) which is insufficient EGR Flow. Turns out all it was was a bad PCV valve and the code went away.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it does sound like you have something blocked up.

i would remove and thoroughly clean all the EGR passages in the intake using a small wire brush and your favorite carb cleaner. then, i would shoot some compressed air into the feedback tubes on the EGR tube (the two small tubes leading to the DPFE sensor). also ensure that the silicone soft lines connecting to the DPFE are not plugged or cracked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals