• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Ranger Automatic Transmission help

garrettchase94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
Hi my grandpa and I are about ready to drop the transmission out of the truck. Everything hooked to the transmission is disconnected but the exhaust is in the way and we have no idea how to get to the top bolts of the transmission to remove the bolts. we can’t remove the engine or anything like that please help we’re starting in a few hours. Thank you also if you guys have any tips for reinstalling the transmission please let me know.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Long extensions and swivel socket from below or a flex head gear wrench from above. 13mm.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I had to drop the transmission a little bit after removing the support brace and reach up there with a gear wrench type wrench on my 2011 with a manual transmission.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Long extension and a swivel socket. It helps to remove the transmission crossmember and lower the tailshaft a bit too.

garrettchase94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
Thanks for your wisdom great ranger owners. how about the exhaust what is the best way to remove it or get around it it’s kind of in the way right now.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's what I was wondering, why not drop it out of the way.
I start at the back tube and just start breaking it down and getting it out of the way.
If you live in the city don't leave the cat laying around (I live in the country and stash that away soon as the last bolt comes out)
Work your way to the Y-pipe in the front.
If it's never been off you best have some good ratchets, breaker bars, cheater pipes and legs when necessary.
They can sometimes be tough.
Clean them up going back, and use liberal amounts of Anti-Seize Lube

I've found the two on each side of the engine to be the toughest ones, usually requiring so good extentions to reach a clearing below the engine, with a good breaker bar and an additional extension pipe, one your boots fit well

First step for those is some PB blaster from top side at least a couple hours before you get there, this alone is an important step for old dry bolts
The last ones I broke loose were on my 96 Explorer and I don't believe they'd ever been off before.
I used PB blaster and only a couple hours time used extensions from below and long handle Williams 1/2 ratchet. Had to really push on it but without further extensions it broke loose both 28 year old bolts. I only broke one side to see what it did

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Thanks for your wisdom great ranger owners. how about the exhaust what is the best way to remove it or get around it it’s kind of in the way right now.
You have to remove them, unfortunately. You need lots of penetrating oil and a bunch of extensions. With any luck, you won't snap any of the bolts. If you do snap one, the only place I could find them was through the dealer. I had to use a stud remover in order to remove what was left on one and a broken fastener tool and long drill bit for the other one that broke off in the flange.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Be prepared to break the bolts off in the manifolds. They are often impossibly rusted in place or rusted smaller than they started, weakening them. I'm pretty careful but have broken a lot of them.

It's possible to get the trans out and back in with the Y pipe in place but not easy. It's almost easier to lift up the cab a couple inches.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals