• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 b4000 clutch issue?

AllanJYork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Manual
So heres my issue, I bought this truck knowing there is something wrong with the transmission. The last guy replaced the slave cylinder, and thinks the problem is the master cylinder. So heres what happens; I can push in the clutch and put it in gear, let out the clutch, nothing happens. i had a look though the hole on the transmission and when the pedal is pressed i can see the teeth moving only a small amount. The pedal feels weird too, it almost feels like im pushing down on a brake pedal. It just dosent have that clutch movement feel. I know the transmission is fine because i can put it in gear and the drive shaft has zero movement, but when i put it in neutral, the driveshaft will move between the slack in the drivetrain. Another thing is this truck has 3.27 gears as far as i know and 31 inch tires. So maybe the clutch is just shot? Both the front and rear axle houseings have been opened though. the last owner had no clue about what gears it had, but seems to think it had lots of power. What do you guys think? Also the throttle response is a little slow, is that common on these 4 litre engines? it kinda hesitates a bit when i give it say 50% throttle fast. there is 350k km on it so i guess it could just need new wires plugs air filter, thoughts?

ok, so i just watched a video on bleeding the clutch. I think im calling things wrong, the part that was replaced was the thing that was connected to the pedal. I thought that was called the slave cylinder. So i am starting to think that maybe he didint bleed the system right. What happened when the transmission stoped working was he was driving along shifting into third gear and nothing happened it just reved. No gears. So the part inside the transmission is called the slave? and the part connected to the pedal is the master?

thanks guys :beer:

Last edited:

tais420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The system its an auto bleeder system and yes the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing the connection at the pedal is the master cylinder per say... It seems your tranny or clutch is shot my friend... I had the slave go out in my 94 and what happens then is the clutch is not released so therefore you cannot shift into or out of gear but if in gear the truck will still move... if you can put it in gear release the clutch then see that it is moving inside and not moving the truck that means it is engaging the input shaft and not the output so your worst case scenario is the output shaft or main shaft is broken which has been known to happen... the most common issue with this tranny is bad synchronizers or main shaft bearings just fyi... if you have a trusted mechanic have them check it out if money isn't an issue i suggest just getting a reman running around $500-$700 depending on your location which comes with upgraded syncros and a few other small parts and is definitely worth the money if you dont know how to rebuild it yourself

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Having read the original post prior to the edit that added extra info, I missed the part about the guy shifted into 3rd, and all was lost.
My bet, the clutch disc fell apart. Either the center has broken completely out, or the friction material has fallen off the disc. Either way, a new clutch/pressure plate assembly would be needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals