• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 4x4 manual TDI swap

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
This is the begining of the long process.

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
I bought the truck last week. ive had the engine since the beginning of the summer.

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Currently getting it ready for inspection, to get it tagged in my state. I got the lights on and working. I also found out the horn is a siren. video

I replaced the header pannel today and got the old lights back on. They function, but thats about all i can say. Does anyone have any recommendations for projector headlights, or c style dlr leds? The ones that i have found all have very mixed quality reviews.
20231128_205424.jpg
20231128_202700.jpg

20231128_205349.jpg
20231128_205424.jpg
20231128_202700.jpg

I also tracked down the weak link in the 4x4 system. See the wires pulled out of the connector?

Also, the light switch/dimmer/dome light contraption was lose and i took off the cover and I'm not sure what secures it.

Last edited:

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Well, apparently the only replacement bezel knob that fits this is on amazon for $10, unless you want to scavenge a junkyard. light switch bezel on amazon
I will get this ordered, and update with the install.

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Yesterday I tested the 4x4 switch and module. They seem to be good. The clutch sensor does not seem to be working with my tests, however the truck only starts when the clutch is depressed. Not sure if theres two sensors.

I also removed one window regulator in attempts to replace it with a junkyard one. Problem was my rivet gun wasn't large enough to accommodate the rivets, ill have to get the heavy duty one.

Ill need to run further test but from what i can tell either the 4 wheel drive shift motor is dead or its just not getting current. I'll need a 2nd pair of hands to decern.

However i did get the lights and signals working.

The horn is also not working but I hear the relay click when i bush the steering wheel. I tried another horn only to find it was also non functioning. Ill try to get a working one and figure out whether its the wiring or just the horn.

Took a look at the brakes, front lines look a little frayed. I ordered new ones. I cleaned the drums and turned them, they look good. The reservoir was about half full, so ill blead the lines once i get them installed, so i get all the old fluid out. all the pads looked okay. however the abs light was on and when I was driving down my gravel driveway and applied the brakes, the front passenger locked up.

Last edited:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The clutch sensor does not seem to be working with my tests, however the truck only starts when the clutch is depressed. Not sure if theres two sensors.
No just the one switch on the clutch lever. These trucks use this switch to keep the engine from starting unless the clutch pedal is pressed all the way in. Its the neutral safety switch and is working as it is intended to.

I hope this takes one thing off the to-do list for you.

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
No just the one switch on the clutch lever. These trucks use this switch to keep the engine from starting unless the clutch pedal is pressed all the way in. Its the neutral safety switch and is working as it is intended to.

I hope this takes one thing off the to-do list for you.
I gotcha thanks, its weird cause when i did a continuity test from the 4x4 module connector the clutch sensor wasn't getting a closed circuit when i depressed it. this will keep the truck from going into 4 low. Now ofc it isn't going into anything at all right now, but ill keep this in mind if i end up putting a shift motor on it and it goes into high and not low.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
however the abs light was on and when I was driving down my gravel driveway and applied the brakes, the front passenger locked up.
I'm not sure what year they started with full 4 wheel abs but for sure 93-94 were RABS only. Meaning Rear Anti-lock Braking System only. Your front tires will still lock up and 1 rear can lock up. The system only kicks in when both rear brakes lock up at the same time. Because it is rear only and only one line feeding teh rear brakes from the RABS valve both sides get the same pulsation unlike 4 wheel independent ABS. Yes it sounds useless and the system pretty much was useless but mandated by the government . IIRC any truck from '86 on needed RABS to be equipped I may be mistaken on the year it was mandated to go into effect.

I believe in the tech section there is a writeup about how to pull the codes from the RABS module but I know for sure there are youtube videos on it. Super simple, there is a RABS wire under the dash that you just jump to a ground and the ABS light spits out the codes in flashing pulses.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That shift motor is no more complicated than a starter or selenoid, pretty easy to take apart and clean up or check out. The hardest part is getting that dang wiring plug apart

The previous owner of mine tried to use it and it didn't work and was told it was a 300 dollar job but she didn't get it done, just drove it in 2wd. I bought a new one and swapped it out and later checked the old one but it worked fine, really not sure if I ever did anything to it or not. It's setting in the box if I ever need to swap it out.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
what engine?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 1994 4WD system didn't need the clutch pedal switch for Neutral
Speed sensor needed to show 0MPH in a manual to shift into 4Low, and with a manual that is "neutral", lol, either clutch pedal is down or trans is in neutral if engine is running at 0MPH

An automatic did have a Park/Neutral switch which needed to be grounded to shift into 4Low, and also needed 0MPH

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
I'm not sure what year they started with full 4 wheel abs but for sure 93-94 were RABS only. Meaning Rear Anti-lock Braking System only. Your front tires will still lock up and 1 rear can lock up. The system only kicks in when both rear brakes lock up at the same time. Because it is rear only and only one line feeding teh rear brakes from the RABS valve both sides get the same pulsation unlike 4 wheel independent ABS. Yes it sounds useless and the system pretty much was useless but mandated by the government . IIRC any truck from '86 on needed RABS to be equipped I may be mistaken on the year it was mandated to go into effect.

I believe in the tech section there is a writeup about how to pull the codes from the RABS module but I know for sure there are youtube videos on it. Super simple, there is a RABS wire under the dash that you just jump to a ground and the ABS light spits out the codes in flashing pulses.
Thanks that will help me alot! Yeah i was reading about the raps system but hadn't dove into it completely yet. I just wanted to visually inspect the brakes first.

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
That shift motor is no more complicated than a starter or selenoid, pretty easy to take apart and clean up or check out. The hardest part is getting that dang wiring plug apart

The previous owner of mine tried to use it and it didn't work and was told it was a 300 dollar job but she didn't get it done, just drove it in 2wd. I bought a new one and swapped it out and later checked the old one but it worked fine, really not sure if I ever did anything to it or not. It's setting in the box if I ever need to swap it out.
Yes sir I took one look at the shift motor plug and was like um...yeah...no. I'm gonna pull on that thing and either break it or put a pick through my finger.

In all seriousness I can do it i just wanted to properly diagnose beforehand because some of the wires in the same plug go into sensors in tge transfer case. I will have to remove those wires from the plug and then eiggle them back in when i replace the motor. Or refurbish the old.

chickenman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size

20231129_152556.jpg
20231129_152545.jpg
20231129_152456.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals