• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 ford ranger xl. First truck thoughts!

Cessus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I went to look at a 1991 ford ranger Xl today owned by an older guy and really liked it after test driving it. Truck has a 4.0 v6 4wd with 3.73 possi rear? And 91000 miles. I'm not too familiar with trucks yet as I've only been riding motorcycles since ever. Guy was asking 3000 for the truck at which I talked hi down to 2500 and maybe more today.Test drove the truck and it seemed great and everything worked. Tires had plenty if tread left. Only thing I found wrong was a little nick in the passenger side windshield which still passed inspection in December since it wasn't a crack. And it seems to have a slight leak coming from somewhere around the timing pulling area? Anyone know if this is a common and easy fix? Rear bed door comes with truck but is not painted. I also have video which I'm not sure how to upload if needed. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423568142.673185.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423568158.276115.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423568172.689875.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423568196.134626.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423568210.720169.jpgView attachment 17776

Last edited:

RLong31

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Looks pretty good for a Gen 2. I would clean up the bottom of the motor and keep an eye on that leak and your oil levels. I personally wouldn't pay much more than $2k for it, being so old.. but it is pretty low miles and it should last you a long time.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
manual or auto....2-2500 for a manual seems fair for that.

1700 tops for an auto.

i dont fit well in a reg cab. that is a nice truck.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the "rear bed door" is called a tailgate. lol just fyi. thats a good lookin truck, kind of jealous of the find.

Cessus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's a 5 speed btw. I notice insurance is killer high when I got a quote for it

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's a nice truck for a starter. Funny about the insurance--mine is only about $160/year for liability--could be age(yours) related.

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Www. Lmctruck.com for parts. Autoone will have most anything you might need for the motor. (Shameless plug for my employer).
I own a 91 as well. Just orderes a new tranny, and torque converter as mine were toast.
Just bought some jeep 15x7 rims and a lift kit will be coming soon with 31" tires soon after.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's a 5 speed btw. I notice insurance is killer high when I got a quote for it
Not sure why that would be. Haven't had my '91 (2wd) licenced for a while, but the '87 is like $60 or $70 a month in Saskatchewan, amd the '91 was similar to licence (to the 87) when it was on the road. I know rangers had a reputation for being easily stolen - are you in some really urban area?

As for the oil leak, remember oil leaks down and blows back - not always easy to trace a leak, but most older engines are not squeaky clean down there. At first glance, looks like may be the front (timing cover) seal=remove front timg chain cover**) to replace. But I'd suggest following the advice above - wash engine off, put cardboard underneath when parked (to monitor where and how much oil leaks out) and keep oil tops up above all!

PS: nice ride! If body is as solid as it looks that's a keeper! :)

** haven't had much (anything) to do with 4L - but sounds pretty straightforward (better than I thought) if anything like the 3L:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/51828-front-main-seal-oil-leak.html

Last edited:

Cessus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry. I was getting horrible 800+$ quotes directly from the quote hotlines for liability and comp. I then found a local agent who hooked me up for less then 400 a year. Truck seems to run well. Loving it! Low range light seems to be half way dim/lit all the time and doesn't turn off when I hit the button. 4x4 works fine. Seems to be an easy truck to learn to drive manual in as I had the hang of it within a few miles but then again I've been riding bikes only.

Cessus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Also need to sand, prime and paint rear part of frame as it's a bit rusty in areas

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Well, I pay 600 every six months and I have multiple dui's from a decade ago. So Id say your doing good.

Cessus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's snowing pretty bad here so I teste the 4x4 in the snow on the way to work. Works well except I founding the low button that is halfway dim does not work. Makes no clicking sound like when I press the regular 4x4 or does anything for that matter. The light just stays on half way dim.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Nice looking truck! It may be worth finding out why that light is always on and dim. could be a short or something to the socket or something on that circuit, but unless go mudding or something you may never need the 4LO. It's really geared too low for street driving. I got my 93 this summer and i havent even tried it. i'm afraid it will get stuck in low haha.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I think you did all right as long as the frame isn't too bad. Frames scare lots of people away. They are fairly easy to patch though. I wish I had shopped around a little more before buying the Rat. Yours has a better ratio and if its a LSD. That is as good as it gets. The scary part is that this is a 24 yr old Ford. They were not designed to be fixed. And at the very least you are going to have to deal with fixing it. I would take it to a trusted mechanic for an assessment of needs. When I get a car ready for daily use I will buy several hundred bucks worth of parts and put them in. The leak is an example of the old car thing. No big deal. Buy some 5w30 store brand and keep it behind the seat. check oil at every fill up for awhile until you get a handle on its consumption.

Cessus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Guy I bought it from did mention it had a posi 3.73 rear in it. Also would appreciate a link to a PDF of the owners manual and such

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals