• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Ford Ranger Very Nice Restoration Small Lift New Tires 4x4

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That is a nice truck.

But, is it really worth that much?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
That is a nice truck.

But, is it really worth that much?
I most certainly think so. There is a point at which we all need to forget the god almighty blue book. The paint job alone is worth $10, 000-$12,000. The underside looks like it's been repainted and restored too. Throw in at least a few thou more. No doubt all the chrome work is new as well as the interior. The lift looks like it was done right. It's got new wheels and tires as well. For all intents and purposes, this is a brand new truck...a very cool one, and for half the price of new.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That nice paint job isn't going to last very long with those wheels/tires sticking out that far
Capture.JPG

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I most certainly think so. There is a point at which we all need to forget the god almighty blue book. The paint job alone is worth $10, 000-$12,000. The underside looks like it's been repainted and restored too. Throw in at least a few thou more. No doubt all the chrome work is new as well as the interior. The lift looks like it was done right. It's got new wheels and tires as well. For all intents and purposes, this is a brand new truck...a very cool one,
Agreed. If you were looking for an almost time-capsule perfect example, and money was no object, this would be the truck.

and for half the price of new.
True, for a new "today's" truck, but sadly, the asking price is about double what the truck originally sold for in 1990. Saya a lot about inflation over the 34 years since it was new.

That nice paint job isn't going to last very long with those wheels/tires sticking out that far
I was thinking the same thing, But driving it all would quickly kill the value of it, at its asking price.

Besides the wheels sticking out, the only other thing I didn't like was the headliner being recovered but the visors left in original fabric. And I'd prefer a factory radio.

It's a factory non-AC black truck, so driving it in the south in the summer would be torture.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Its definantly eye candy....and its got the right engine...

The price seems outrageous but thats about the going rate for time capsule-esque mid to late 80's to mid 90's ford trucks.

Personally id rather have a patina'ed survivor truck....not a museum piece.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Agreed. If you were looking for an almost time-capsule perfect example, and money was no object, this would be the truck.
I somewhat agree. That truck selling isn't the problem though, the problem is how it afects the ones sold after.

:temper:

Cornpop is going to see that a 1990 Ranger just sold for almost $30k. He's going to proceed to ignore the fact that truck had all this work done to it, and is going to decide that he can list the one that's been sitting under a pine tree in his back yard for the last 10 years for 15k. DLBMB, IKWIG.

That in itself wouldn't be a problem either, the market will tell him how stupid he's being and it will never sell. Right? Nope, someone will eventually pay him 10k for it, because they think they can turn around and drop 10k into a "restoration". Then put it in an auction for 35-40k given that it is low mileage with only 5k miles on the odometer, and use this truck as basis for evaluation. Then some idiot will run the bidding up to 50k because they have more money (or credit) than sense. The cycle repeats.

It's a vicious cycle that makes classics unaffordable for everyone. It sucks. My 68 Ford could really stand to have a full donor body due to rust. Can't afford to buy a full donor because of all the auctions running values up so high. People sitting at home that bought the truck 20+ years ago for $500 to use as a beater, now want 10k because they're selling for 50-100k (or more) at auction. Bro, truck isn't running and has barely any usable parts beyond the sheetmetal. Nope, they're going to keep doing it and eventually the only older vehicles like this that will be left will be sitting in overvalued "collections" somewhere.

FWIW I wouldn't sell my 68 for what I think it's worth either. As a running driving example I've got it valued at 5k for insurance purposes. Due to sentimental reasons I wouldn't sell it for 10k, or 100k. It'd probably take a few hundred thousand for someone to purchase it from me in curent (rust bucket) condition, and even that would wouldn't be an easy sell. However if I saw where I couldn't keep it, I'd let it go to the right family members for little or nothing, possibly even giving it to them. IMO, someone that's valuing it high for sentimental reasons it's going to be sending it across an auction block.

:sorrysign: I'll get off my soapbox now.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I somewhat agree. That truck selling isn't the problem though, the problem is how it afects the ones sold after.

Cornpop is going to see that a 1990 Ranger just sold for almost $30k. He's going to proceed to ignore the fact that truck had all this work done to it, and is going to decide that he can list the one that's been sitting under a pine tree in his back yard for the last 10 years for 15k. DLBMB, IKWIG.

That in itself wouldn't be a problem either, the market will tell him how stupid he's being and it will never sell. Right? Nope, someone will eventually pay him 10k for it, because they think they can turn around and drop 10k into a "restoration". Then put it in an auction for 35-40k given that it is low mileage with only 5k miles on the odometer, and use this truck as basis for evaluation. Then some idiot will run the bidding up to 50k because they have more money (or credit) than sense. The cycle repeats.

It's a vicious cycle that makes classics unaffordable for everyone. It sucks. My 68 Ford could really stand to have a full donor body due to rust. Can't afford to buy a full donor because of all the auctions running values up so high. People sitting at home that bought the truck 20+ years ago for $500 to use as a beater, now want 10k because they're selling for 50-100k (or more) at auction. Bro, truck isn't running and has barely any usable parts beyond the sheetmetal. Nope, they're going to keep doing it and eventually the only older vehicles like this that will be left will be sitting in overvalued "collections" somewhere.

FWIW I wouldn't sell my 68 for what I think it's worth either. As a running driving example I've got it valued at 5k for insurance purposes. Due to sentimental reasons I wouldn't sell it for 10k, or 100k. It'd probably take a few hundred thousand for someone to purchase it from me in curent (rust bucket) condition, and even that would wouldn't be an easy sell. However if I saw where I couldn't keep it, I'd let it go to the right family members for little or nothing, possibly even giving it to them. IMO, someone that's valuing it high for sentimental reasons it's going to be sending it across an auction block.

Agreed. My buddy, another Ranger owner keeps on flipping his sorry ass old crap, making a thou or more every time. It's hardly worth the time or the trouble. But still there's something to all of this. New cars and trucks (especially) cost a fortune.

And besides, people really love those old Rangers. We went to the Ford dealers looking for a Bronco. They were all in the $50,000 range. So were the two door Land Rover Defenders. (Actually they were more) The Ford salesman kept eyeballing my Ranger and promised a good trade-in price. He told me any Ranger sells in less than a week.

Can you believe it? These humble little trucks are actually that popular.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Ford salesman kept eyeballing my Ranger and promised a good trade-in price.
I just traded my 2011 with 90,000 miles on it, for a new 23 Taco, they gave me $12,000

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I just traded my 2011 with 90,000 miles on it, for a new 23 Taco, they gave me $12,000
Not bad! Then again, they know that they can sell it for more.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Its a very annoying double edged sword.

On one hand, its good becauae with the big money being thrown around its pretty much guranteed that these things we love will forever be around, and not bought for 300 bucks by a 16 year old to go and jump around a dirtbike course with it untill the frame breaks and it ends up melted down and turned into a Kia.

But at the same time it prices alot of folks out of the market that want to drive and enjoy these vehicles and not park them in a climate controlled warehouse as an "investment" that might see the odometer climb 30 miles a year.

Its the same way with muscle cars...money has ruined them. You cant go and buy a 68 roadrunner or something anymore to actually drive how nature intended because you got the "investment" crowd that buys 100k ones on barret jackson and the flipper crowd that buys scrounges the fields and barns to find one to resto, pays top dollar for junk, then flips it for profit.

Hell even fox body mustangs that used to be the king of cheap performance are out of the realm of affordabilty anymore.

I truely believe that this is a major contribution to the reason why the younger generations dont care about car culture as much. They got some shitbox camry or something as a first car and never got to experience anything to ignite a passion.

I blame shows like american pickers and pawn stars for ruining the market for anything remotely vintage. Doesnt matter what it is.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Oh look! They bro-dozered an otherwise beautifully restored truck!

I think they are asking to much for it but someone into the show truck thing will probably pay it.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Its a very annoying double edged sword.

On one hand, its good becauae with the big money being thrown around its pretty much guranteed that these things we love will forever be around, and not bought for 300 bucks by a 16 year old to go and jump around a dirtbike course with it untill the frame breaks and it ends up melted down and turned into a Kia.

But at the same time it prices alot of folks out of the market that want to drive and enjoy these vehicles and not park them in a climate controlled warehouse as an "investment" that might see the odometer climb 30 miles a year.

Its the same way with muscle cars...money has ruined them. You cant go and buy a 68 roadrunner or something anymore to actually drive how nature intended because you got the "investment" crowd that buys 100k ones on barret jackson and the flipper crowd that buys scrounges the fields and barns to find one to resto, pays top dollar for junk, then flips it for profit.

Hell even fox body mustangs that used to be the king of cheap performance are out of the realm of affordabilty anymore.

I truely believe that this is a major contribution to the reason why the younger generations dont care about car culture as much. They got some shitbox camry or something as a first car and never got to experience anything to ignite a passion.

I blame shows like american pickers and pawn stars for ruining the market for anything remotely vintage. Doesnt matter what it is.
I tend to agree. The photo that started this thread is probably a show truck. It looks it anyway. But then again, very few of us want that.

Most used Rangers are still pretty cheap. It also seems to me that most get very little love, many never get washed, fewer ever get waxed. I've pulled a lot of parts. I found that most interiors actually smell bad mostly from spoiled food that never got cleaned out of fabric seats and carpets. I spent forever looking for a clean headliner. Some were riddled with cigarette burns. Others were scuffed by passengers who stamped them with their feet. That bezel on the center of dash was almost always scratched up. The frames were all rusted out. So were the drivetrains and suspension parts. No one it seems ever took them to Ziebart when new. I could go on.

The happy medium, in my humble opinion, is owning a nice clean Ranger, keeping it that way, and driving it too. There are still plenty of those too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals