• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Ford Ranger Need some help

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Hello I have a 1990 Ford Ranger Xtl 5 speed with the 2.3l 4 banger, it was my grandpa's and I got it when he passed I have been fixing it up and have redone most of the fuel system( fuel pump and fuel filter) and some other problems that it had. But now having a problem that just started idk if it's the fuel filter or the spark plugs. I started my truck up and drove on my farm a little and then stopped for a second to check on my cattle and put it in neutral and put the E- Brake on, got done and got back in pull the release on the e- brake and put it in first on flat ground and it was idling fine but when I started releasing the clutch like normal it started to stutter and then died and I tried it again and the same thing happened again it idles fine and then when I try to drive away it stutters and dies. I tried giving it more RPMs but stilled stuttered and died. I have been driving it around the farm for weeks and it was fine. idk if it was the cold weather that had something to do with it or what. I had to get my dads 1995 Dodge Ram 3500 5 speed and put it in low and pulled it home like a champ if anyone has any idea what it could be or had this happen and fixed it would be nice info.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Perhaps the ebrakes cables are siezed. Will the truck roll easy when in neutral?

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Yes it will I had to push it closer to my dads truck to get the Tow rope on the frame

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
An idling engine will die if it is trying to increase rpm, but lacks fuel...

My first suspect would be the fuel supply system. I'd get a fuel pressure gauge, and attach it to the fuel 'rail' that feeds the injectors. There is a shrader valve that has a cap on it, like a bicycle tire valve stem, where you attach the gauge. Then turn the key to ON, and monitor pressure developed.
I think you have a MAP system as of 90, or you may have a MAF. The former is a small box attached to the fender or firewall with some wires and a vacuum line to the intake, the latter is embedded in the air tube leading to the engine, the corrugated flex hose, and measures airflow. If the MAF is bad, the engine will stumble and stall on acceleration. If the MAP is bad, the engine idle will be very un-stable, as the computer adds to little or too much fuel for the engine load condition.
Check your fuel supply(you can measure delivery volume using the gauge 'release' valve) for pressure and delivered volume(gal/hr - calculated). I think you'll find your problem there.
tom

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks will look into it I think its my MAF senor and old sparkplug they have not been changed out since 97

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Most sparkplugs will last 100,000 miles and still work pretty well. The electrodes will wear, and get rounded off, making the spark jumping the gap a bit more difficult, but should work. They generally show problems at idle and when working hard, such as when climbing a hill, if they are in poor condition. They should not cause stalling.
You can look on youtube and see a fellow use a length of hose, a clamp, and a pressure gauge to check his fuel pressure. I think Jennies Garage is the channel. He removed the shrader valve 'stem' and attached the hose & pressure gauge to check.
You could also have a plugged up pickup 'sock' filter in the tank after all these years, and add in 'sitting' time, and you get more sediment to block the pickup. Idling will draw fuel flow slowly, and, with no truck 'motion or jostling', the junk could gather at the sock and start to plug it up. Check fuel flow & pressure before spending time & money on other things.
tom

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Tom Will do going to check my fuel pressure, I do not believe i have any sediment in the tank that could gave clogged it up i replaced the fuel pump and did a deep clean of the tank with purple power and let it dry before placing The new fuel pump and non ethanol gas in the tank its about half a tank. its now at 1/4 the tank i think like many fords my family have owned the fuel gauge dose not work and goes to half a tank when off. but will test my fuel pressure and see. Thank all of you for your help been on the ranger station since 2016 but just made an account for help this year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals