• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 ford ranger 2.9 sputtering issues.

pbc243

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all.

I've become desperate for help. Im pretty lost at this point.. But some quick info about what my issue is..My truck seems to act as if its wanting to stall out or misfiring when I drive it. It usually begins once the motor is nice and warm ( normal running temp) . It idles fine. Also when its acting up the RPM's will surge back n forth.

I have done the following:

Replaced all Spark Plugs.
Replaced all Spark Plug wires.
Replaced Distributor Cap.
Verified Firing order is correct.
Replaced Coil Pack.
Replaced ECT.
Replaced Thermostat.
Replaced Thermostat Sensor.
Replaced IAC valve.
Replaced IAT Sensor.
Replaced Air Filter.
Replaced Fuel Filter.
Replaced TPS also adjusted.
Cleaned Throttle body and replaced gaskets.
Bought 6 new Fuel Injectors ( haven't installed yet )

Things I haven't done:
Take it to junk yard.
Run it into the lake.
Set it on fire.

Please help! Im lost and just dont know what else to check that would be causing this issue. its beginning to drive me insane.:bawling:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are 3 tests you should do to help diagnose this issue.

You need to get the OBD codes from the engine computer. This can be done with a test lamp.

You should test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Although it's less likely, you could do a cylinder compression test as well, to rule out certain possibilities.

Throwing parts at it in the hope that you'll randomly "get lucky" and solve the problem is the slowest and most expensive form of troubleshooting.

If you really want to find the problem and fix it right, then buy the factory service manual and test everything as instructed before replacing things.

pbc243

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There are 3 tests you should do to help diagnose this issue.

You need to get the OBD codes from the engine computer. This can be done with a test lamp.

You should test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Although it's less likely, you could do a cylinder compression test as well, to rule out certain possibilities.

Throwing parts at it in the hope that you'll randomly "get lucky" and solve the problem is the slowest and most expensive form of troubleshooting.

If you really want to find the problem and fix it right, then buy the factory service manual and test everything as instructed before replacing things.

Will check fuel pressure & do a compression test tomorrow and post results.

Most of the parts ive replaced was for a much needed tune-up anyways. Was just hoping a fine tune-up would've fixed the issue.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
this might sound silly, but hear me out. Does your truck have AC and does it work?

Mine has AC, but it doesn't work right now. I also have a 1990 2.9L ranger (4x4)

Just had this issue last week.
When my truck was cool. it would idle just fine. however when it got fairly warmed up it would be idling at 850 rpms and it kept falling to 450-500 , than shoot back up to 850. It was doing this every 5 seconds.
Popped the hood and noticed the idle surge was happening at the same time the AC compresser clutch seemed to be engaging/disengaging. switched my AC from the off position to the fan position and it seems to have stopped the idle issue. (think I fiddled with some other AC settings also)

Probably not the same problem, But its worth watching the compresser when the truck is idling funny to check

pbc243

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
this might sound silly, but hear me out. Does your truck have AC and does it work?

Mine has AC, but it doesn't work right now. I also have a 1990 2.9L ranger (4x4)

Just had this issue last week.
When my truck was cool. it would idle just fine. however when it got fairly warmed up it would be idling at 850 rpms and it kept falling to 450-500 , than shoot back up to 850. It was doing this every 5 seconds.
Popped the hood and noticed the idle surge was happening at the same time the AC compresser clutch seemed to be engaging/disengaging. switched my AC from the off position to the fan position and it seems to have stopped the idle issue. (think I fiddled with some other AC settings also)

Probably not the same problem, But its worth watching the compresser when the truck is idling funny to check
The AC has been completely removed from the truck when I purchased it

I did barrrow a obd1 ford code reader from one of my buddies and got the following codes... Codes: 67, 10, 11

I have not yet checked the fuel pressure or compresion test since i got off work bit to late n just dont feel like making a trip into town. But I did mess with the pressure regulator and pulled the vacuum line off & noticed no changes in the motor.. could that be something?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would check the Ignition Control Module on the distributor. Most parts places should be able to test it for free.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals