• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ford Ranger SAS

1985Ranger124

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 V6
Transmission
Manual
Well the day has finally come that I can start my solid axle swap. Ive been doing my research for a LONG time and am confident that i can do this. I am 16 and doing this whole things pretty much by myself so go easy on me.

The Front Axle Build HP Dana 44

Axle: Full Width Dana 44 high pinion
Year: 1976
Locker: Dana Spicer Posi
Axles: Stock
Ring and Pinion: Yukon 4:56 to 1
U-Joints: Spicer
Bearings: Timken

The Rear Axle Build Ford 9’’

Axle: Full Width Ford 9’’
Year: 1979
Locker: Full Spool
Axles: Stock
Ring and Pinion: Yukon 4:56 to 1
Bearings: Timken

Rear Suspension

I needed something that I could get rid of the lift blocks with and give my truck superior flex. After some research, I decided to go with 6” lift 63’’ Chevy Leaf Spring Swap with extended shackles.

Starting the build is very easy, I started on the rear end first to get some confidence. To make a Full Size axle fit under a ranger, you must move the leaf spring mounts in. I did not weld them up immediately cause I wanted to set the pinion angle. I already had the 63s mounted up on the stock rear end so this was very easy.

Attachments

1985Ranger124

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 V6
Transmission
Manual
more pics, front axle is completely out, rollers under the front for perspective

Attachments

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What are your plans for the front suspension and steering? ... I'm assuming your extending your wheel base as it looks to be mocked up like...

1985Ranger124

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 V6
Transmission
Manual
Im running a 7/8'' Ruff Stuff Steering kit, Ruff Stuff Pan hard kit, Custom Extended Radius arms with Wild Horse 5.5'' coils. Ive got just about everything out of the way now so ill probably roll the axle under sometime this week.Im kinda caught up in school most of the day so i only get to work on it when i get home

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Those Wild Horses coils are junk. Go with the ones from Broncograveyard. They are actually Deaver springs, relabeled as BGY.

The WH coils have a tendency to settle a whole lot (mine dropped 3" ), and then they start to bow outwards really bad.
My coils from BGY only settled about an inch, and they worked really well with my Chevy springs and a 7" shackles.

Last edited:

1985Ranger124

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
171 V6
Transmission
Manual
Well, mine are brand new. i got them cheap off a guy on craigslist. Ill wait it out with them and if they turn out to be shit, ill go with the bronco graveyard ones, thanks for the advice. Any advice on how to do the brake lines. I wanna run them with the ttb hard lines. The ones that under the crossmember and to the coil bucket. MY question is what line do i run off of that to each caliber. Or is it some sort of adapter.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I ran mine down the frame to the radius arm mount. Then used a rear hose from a 93 caravan, and continued hard line down the arm and teed it at the diff, my axle lines are for a 78 bronco.

Super easy and isn't. Affected by articulation.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I ran my brake lines the same way. I use a 90's cavaler (buick buick will work or maybe any GM will work as liong as the threads match the hard lines).

Good thing with this brake line setup is my front tires can swing under my truck (picture that) and touch my rear tires and I would still have front brakes. So theres really no flex limit to them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals