• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 4x4 2.9 to 302

tmaxxman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
i'm about to do a 302 swap what is the best donor vehicle to make it as easy as it can be done and as cheap any pics and other tips and tricks would be great

tmaxxman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My '88 4wd swap used F-150 parts. C6 and transfer case with a crate 302 and V-belt system.

tmaxxman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
ok i found a EFI motor and i got the motor harness and computer the ??? i have is after i put it in and get the harness hooked to the motor will it just plug in to the other plugs that are in my truck now over by the brake booster

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
no they won't. must get EVTMs and splice the 2.9L main harness plugs onto the V8 harness to make it work. some variation of an F-150 batch fire system can be used with the 2.9L harness and 5.0 computer (look in v8 section), but still have to splice plugs to plug the 2.9L harness into the v8.

Last edited:

tmaxxman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks i really don't want to get in to splicing wires together im not good with wiring at all so if i go with a carbureted engine is it like a chevy were all you need is a hot wire to the distributor to run it ??? sorry for being a pain in the ass

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not too hard to put a carburetor on what you have, if you've already have an engine. I would at least want something roller to start with, even better if you can find one with a short front end dress, but really a trade off for ease of install for harder to find and more expensive.

As far EFI or carb, you can either spend the time to wire it up, or spend the time putzing around getting the carb tuned in - it's about a wash.

With HEI distributor, yes, it's one wire for ignition. The duraspark units are a lot less bulky, though. Could run duraspark, GM HEI, and your existing coil. Still have fuel and other things to worry about electrically.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals