• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1983 Ranger XLT 4x4

Jeff Broussard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Deciding whether or not to buy ($500)
It seems like going the v8 route will require about $15-20k worth of investment.

This '83 Ranger is in fantastic shape, aside from not starting. What would be my options for preserving the current drive train but achieving a tolerable amount of power?

Thanks in advance for your guidance and suggestions.

EDIT: 2.3L engine. I live in Colorado and drive in the mountains. If I can hold 55 or 60 mph going up I-70, that's plenty tolerable.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
What is the current engine? If it's a 4 cylinder then a tolerable amount of power is relative to what your experience is...mine is 'tolerable', but I usually have plenty of patience...

Jeff Broussard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your comment Mark.
Having the 2.3 Carbureted engine yourself, surely you've looked into your options for getting more power from under the hood..?

I've done some searching about, but it seems like to go to is to throw a 5.0 in there.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
For my 2 cents, I sure as heck would not pour a ton of money into an old truck just to get more "power". That truck may be great; but, it is still just an old truck. Nothing a collector would be interested in. When you are done, it will still be just an old truck someone has messed with.

Take that money and buy a truck that has the power you need!!!

Now if you want the truck for a project. A fun toy to take up your free time and free money, go for it. You won't get the money back when you finally sell it, in fact, the truck will be worth a lot less down the road because of the engine swap. Like all hobbies, the money spent is money gone.

Your choice, your time, your money, just understand what you are getting into. It will cost a ton of momey and time. Usually a lot more than you estimate; it always does.:icon_pepsi:

Ed

Last edited:

Jeff Broussard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your comment Ed.
You're painting the wrong picture though..

Think about dirtbagging bliss.
This thing is in immaculate shape and has an amazing camper shell on it which is great for Fall and Winter camping and climbing in Colorado & Utah with the wife and dogs.

I did stumble upon a rebuild thread that discussing adding a turbo to the existing 2.3L. Can anyone comment?
http://www.ranger-forums.com/forced-induction-n20-tech-35/2-3-turbo-coupe-motor-42579/

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
With my truck having a SAS, lift, bigger tires, 302 swap amd a million other things done to it, I'm only $4500 into it.

55-60mpg, good luck.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Jeff Broussard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With my truck having a SAS, lift, bigger tires, 302 swap amd a million other things done to it, I'm only $4500 into it.

55-60mpg, good luck.

That is truly awesome.
Would you care to share something you've learned that would be applicable?

P.S. 55-60 MPH (not MPG)

Last edited:

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic

55-60mpg, good luck.

I have that much in the 347 in my 84. I will never sell it though, so I call it a wash on money spent....

Jeff Broussard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Great information guys.

Knowing now that:
Mark really likes slow trucks, advises patience when driving.
enjr44 doesn't appreciate the value of a classic
dangerranger83 loves stoking his ego
& Bloodbane is just glad to have his V8 conversion behind him

I think I'm ready to get started.
Great job informing the Newbe.
I'll be sure to post project updates. NOT

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I didn't say I "liked" slow trucks...you didn't actually mention what engine you have...and I have a 4 banger and that I "deal" with my slowness because I built it that way...

I considered putting a v8 in long ago and have recently posted that I'm considering upgrading to a 3.0...so far I've received about five replies saying "why bother?" when I could have a 4.0 or a V8...it all depends on your circumstances, available funds, and how well you know yourself and what you really want...

I'm a reformed idiot...no, wait, I'm a certified idiot and know that if I stuff a 5.0 in my truck it will be too tempting to slam the pi$$ out of it and probably end up either getting too many speeding tickets or drive it way faster than it was designed...

My choice...

EDIT: I see you updated your engine information...the 2.3 is capable of doing what you want...and/or you can turbo it to get some extra power...but it may require a bit of work...I'd go that route if I wanted FI...but I don't...more due to having to add too much to my current setup (which I now from my 3.0 truck)...

The 2.3 4x4 is very rare...I'd scoop it just for that and maybe put the turbo on it if I had the resources...but I don't...for now...

Last edited:

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
$500?
4wd?

q: why doesn't it start?
a: doesn't matter.

get your hands on it so you won't kick yourself in the butt later on.

you have the power of TRS to help you either:
a) fix what is there, or,
b) get it repowered and on to some Colorado adventures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals