• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1983 - 1992 Ford Ranger Filler Neck Fix + Diagram

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
First off, I'm not 100% on the year range this is for, so correct me if I'm wrong. I own a 1986 Ford Ranger and couldn't find many resources on how the filler neck worked and I couldn't find any new filler necks being sold anywhere, so I took my filler neck off and figured out how to fix it. It seems like some people may have issues like me where you can barely fill your truck up. Usually even the lowest speed at the pumps is too fast and gas sprays out the inlet to the filler neck. I found that my issue was in the filler neck, where a tube that connects the inlet to the tank falls off. I suggest either crimping the clamp harder with some vice grips like I did, or finding another crimped clamp as normal hose clamps are too large to fit in the tube. If you were wondering, getting the filler neck off is possible with the bed still on and the gas tank not dropped, but is a pain. I used a couple extensions and a swivel with an 8mm socket (thats what my hose clamp was, not sure if its the stock clamp) and was able to get it off and back on. I drew up a quick diagram in ms paint, doesn't look that great but it works to show the filler neck.
diagram.png

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Same problems with the big trucks also. They key is to keep all that air coming out of the tank when filling, away from the fuel going in. If you don't have the pipe in the pipe setup, they interfere with one another and kick fuel back and cut the fill station nozzle off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals