• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1973 courier/ ranger build

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Good progress!

That engine bay is tiny. :icon_welder:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Good progress!

That engine bay is tiny. :icon_welder:
Yeah it is really tiny but small truck means more power to weight

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
This will be pretty cool, I'll be watching this one!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well after some consideration and the fact that I'm not in a hurry to slam it together I think im going to just cut out the factory cross member and build a new one out of box tubing. It will look nicer then cutting and patching factory one and I can get the motor where ever I want it to sit. I'm not certain yet buy I hope I can tie motor mount into it and make the front stronger from doing it this way. I find a few days in between working always makes the excitement build before doing the work so I'm just going to sit and stare at it for a bit and read some more build threads . By then I'll be so egar I won't stop until I have it slung in there and cleared.

I am a machinist in a big fabrication shop building industrial stuff buy watching some of the guys fold parts and fit stuff up makes my floor and tunnel seem relatively simple in steps so more staring and thinking hopefully will make building flow the way my brain thinks it will.

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I spend a lot of time staring at my project and thinking about how I’m going to proceed

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I spend a lot of time staring at my project and thinking about how I’m going to proceed
It's better than rushing and doing it twice

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Years ago, when my interest in boat building was closer to the "front burner", I remember people in that realm talking about having a thinking chair in the shop. A comfortable chair positioned so that the builder could sit down, relax and look at the project. A place to contemplate what has been built, what is coming next, different design options, and occasionally dreaming about using the boat on a favorite waterway.

There's a lot of wisdom in having a thinking chair in the shop.

Eric B

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Years ago, when my interest in boat building was closer to the "front burner", I remember people in that realm talking about having a thinking chair in the shop. A comfortable chair positioned so that the builder could sit down, relax and look at the project. A place to contemplate what has been built, what is coming next, different design options, and occasionally dreaming about using the boat on a favorite waterway.

There's a lot of wisdom in having a thinking chair in the shop.

Eric B
Yes. well with modern technology we have a camera on us most of the time and when we are dragged to the mother in laws or some other function we aren't always keen on we have the opportunity to pull it out and look at it and think about it.

Even at my job when doing some repetitive task where my mind can wonder I love pictures. The ones I post are just the tip of them. I also am good friends with the drafter/designer at work a fresh set of eyes can give you a simple solution.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Projects like this can be like art. Sometimes you don't know what to admire more, the way the truck functions, or the creativity and work of the builder. Take you're time, you'll be happier when it's done.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Jim and yes I'm not in a hurry to build it. If I hurry I'll just want to buy another project and be disappointed with how I did something. Not to mention the -40 weather we've been having and my heating system isn't comfortable at this temperature

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I havent messed with leafs in the front before but now that I'm putting the motor in i have some questions.

I have to notch the frame to clear my alternator that's down low i can't move it up because of turbo and piping. If you look at the picture i notched it already a little but I'm wanting to drop it down minimum 1.5" lower but 2.5 will be likely where I end up. Along with that I need about .750" over to center the motor but once again more clearance for tightening belt stretch.
I have to build some sort of sub frame for my leafs anyways.

What's some insight on this. I'm sure I can put something together but fresh eyes can simplify my project. I'm going to put the cross member at the back of where the original one was as it was a u shape and fat. the 2x4 box I have should give it all the clearance there any ideas?

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well after 3 hours got the front suspension pulled apart and out of the way. Man do I miss the plasma cutter and torch at work for something like this getting a zip disc in there to cut out was a challenge ended up having to cut the coil bucket In half just yo get clearance and ya wasn't fun but hey it's done and shop is swept up ready for grinding all the sharp away and start measuring up to build the cross member.

After looking at the front axle and measuring not as I thought either but that's the way it always go. get your mind out of the way don't over think it and boom step by step

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
Your seats look almost identical to the ones I put in my '85. The guy I bought them from said they came out of a Nissan, but couldn't say what model. The tracks were too wide for the Ranger, so I welded a couple pieces of angled steel to the bottom, and mounted the original seat rails to those.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
These are out or a Subaru outback. Yea the rails are gone just going to make up a frame and solid mount them where they fit for me floor has to be 're engineered anyways so I can make it work

ace1942

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 b2 1993 ra
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9,3.0, 4.9
Transmission
Manual
My credo
no one works on my truck but me
I used to drive one of those when I was a teen delivering parts for NAPA. Good luck should be a nice truck when done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals