• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1963 mercury m-250

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think it's a 223 as well.

I like you for not destroying this truck. I agree--repair it and use it. That's a wonderful vehicle. The only thing I might do is remove the emblems and keep them somewhere safe. At some distance point in the future you will want to restore it.

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i agree with will. most 63's i was around had 223's. i had one in early 80's. master cyl is on firewall. i can't remember what plug in floor was for. one thing you really need to check is cab mounts. idon't think i have ever seen one that wasn't rusted out. i forgot all about merc trucks untill i seen this post. i'm with you keep it original. another fairly rare one was the unibody, bed and cab all in one piece, short bed only if i remember right.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
ya actually all i can find pics of on the internet is the unibody ones. or later 60's.
and hopfully this weekend i can start on it once i get it off my buddies trailer and into my car shelter. but we'll see i suddenly have waaaaay too many projects so far its
1- new cab, fenders, bedsides etc.. on my 97 ranger (kinda rolled it and its my dd)
2- samurais breaks
3- im sure there will be somthign when the lincoln gets back from paint
4- 6" lift on my buddies 2002 chevy 1500
5- dual exhaust on my other buddies 88 chevy.
6- and now this 63. which is actually the gfs and is kicking my ranger into the back yard outta the car shelter
________

Last edited:

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i would love to have that 63 in my backyard, but i got to many projects to. there was another moter offered 262 i believe but pretty rare i have only seen a couple mostly big trucks. 223 easy motor to work on, low powered like 100 hp. 63's long bed fleet side used late 50's bed. body lines did not match up. when i got mine i thought somebody changed bed untill i done research.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
well... someone came up to my house today ( we've actualy had a few people come) but the highest offer to buy it so far was $2'500. still have no idea what its actually worth
________

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd sure get on one of the F-100 forums and check, think more like $4-5K American. Check some of the Mercury truck clubs up there, there are several. Dennis Carpenter has just about everything needed to restore - with time and money.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
from what i understand its like a f250. but ive heard mercury pickups were actually there own deal until 1968 then they became rebaged fords.
I am by no means an expert on them, but that truck looks a lot like the old Ford up the road from me. The same style of fenders, the same style of grill... just about everything but the bed. His is a fleetside bed so it would obviously be different.

It has eight lug wheels, not really for sure what it would have in common with a F-100... the "M-250" leads me to believe it would have more in common with a F-250 if anything.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I'd sure get on one of the F-100 forums and check, think more like $4-5K American. Check some of the Mercury truck clubs up there, there are several. Dennis Carpenter has just about everything needed to restore - with time and money.
Dave
well then not bad concidering i got it for $700 canadian

Last edited:

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
never seen a merc pickup before, AWESOME!

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
ya me niether till this one. i got the interior all cleaned up in there just have to finish the seat then start on the dash. i changed all the plugs and threw some oil down the cylinders. it turns over with the bolt on the crank so its not seized. when the gf brings the battery it should start up
________

Last edited:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
tried to get it running today. checked the spark on the coil and its very erratic and theres no sparks at the plugs. point are working perfect. so monday i think we're ordering a coil, wires, cap and rotor
________

Last edited:

TwoWhels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just get a condenser ,
Most likely thing wrong...guess it depends on how the rest looks.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
well all the wires are chewed from mice. so i gotta get those anyways and coil and all the other stuffs cheap. im completly gapping on what a condensor is.. u have a pic?
________

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The contacts go bad on ignition points when they sit for awhile, go ahead and save yourself a trip and get a condenser too.

It seems a F-250 with a 6 cylinder can have different distributors, but they should look something like what is pictured below inside the distributor (there is a cover that should pop off under the rotor) You probably need to get a book on it about how to tune it up.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BOR1/A97V.oap?year=1963&make=Ford&model=F-250+Pickup&vi=1334652&pt=C0414&ppt=C0334

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BOR1/G141.oap?year=1963&make=Ford&model=F-250+Pickup&vi=1334652&pt=C0414&ppt=C0334

I would start there and see where that gets you before I bothered with the coil.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
well i get all my parts through work so its not like its gonna be expensive.
theres no cover under the rotor its open and looks just like ur first picture but the points are working fine. so ill look into the condensor thanks. defenetly needs wires though.. mice ate most of the outer wrap
________

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals