• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

13MPG Highway on a 2.3L?

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I have an automatic 1997 XLT, 4 cylinder 2.3L engine. I now travel daily to my school which is 27 miles away, the trip is almost all highway so speeds of 60-70MPH. My Ranger has seemed to always get great mileage before and I suppose before school I never realized how bad it was on gas at highway speeds.

Seems it should be better on the highway! Does anyone know what could be wrong? My dad and I want to fix this as fast as possible, we are thinking about larger diameter tires, cleaning out my K&N air filter, new exhaust and changing out the spark plugs.

Any advice would be well appreciated, as I don't think this is normal for a Ranger.

Thanks!

DieselTech07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1997 1994
Make / Model
Ford Ford FORD
Engine Size
2.3 3.0 3.0
Transmission
Manual
I have the same truck as yours (97 2.3 xlt reg cab) only mine is the auto tranny and 4.10 gears, for tires I run 235/75/15 BFG A/T and 28/8.50/15 Super Swampers and on the highway at 65-70 mph and around 3000 rpm I usualy get 23-25 mpg figured on a calculator every tank after correcting for the bigger tires. At 55 mph I only get 20-22 mpg and even worse at slow speeds-18+_mpg.

If it is high mileage like mine (183,XXX) changing spark plugs could help if they haven't been done in a while I did mine about 40,000 miles ago, make sure you do all 8 spark plugs. I also run full synthetic in everthing- tranny, diff, and motor. For the motor I use 5w30 and change it every 5,000 miles and I grease every 2500 miles.

I do remember that I got around 13 mpg on one tank- it was around zero* F and I was only driving 3 miles one way to school so it never got warmed up for a couple weeks, if your temperature gauge never gets up to normal you might want to check your thermostat.

I do know one guy that has has a 1990? 2.3L 5 speed that gets about 25 mpg around town and only 15mpg on the highway on a long trip, he does insist on running 20w50 conventional oil in the motor and goes 10,000+ on oil changes- told me somebody he knew ran it in an older car with a worn out motor and got better mileage. It might work on an old motor but I think it is a bad idea in a newer motor.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well first I would do a tune up, Plugs, wires, fuel and air filter, oil change, change out fluids to synthetic. Maybe seafoam it before you change the plugs, filters and oil though.

I would also look at tire pressure, weight (anything that you don't need in the truck take it out, i mean stuff like tool box you don't use or something.) sensors may be getting dirty...

Larger diameter tires will worsen your gas mileage, a new exhaust will help if the old one got crushed.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The worst i ever get is about 19mpg and that is in the winter when i have it idling a lot. I average about 24. I would change the plugs, wires, clean the iacv, clean the trottle body, clean the maf, the pcv valve. maybe do the seafoam(do seafoam before you change the plugs), some peeps might suggest changing the o2 sensor before the cat. the one after the cat just reads info. You can get a direct fit one online for $35

ps. Is your speedometer working properly. Are you sure your brakes are not dragging?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i got 10mpg in my 84 carbed engine when it ran as pefect as it would get.

then i sent the number 2 piston into the oil pan when shifting at 5,000 rpm

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everyone for the advice. My speedometer works and I don't believe I have any brake bleeds. A tune up is definitely going to happen, does anyone reconmend any type of spark plugs? I was just going to go OEM otherwise.

My muffler has a number of holes in it and that is why I will replace it, I do not think anything is crushed anywhere.

I do have a set of tires (with wheels) in my box to add weight during the winter driving, I am sure this makes things worse but before it in the fall without the weight in the back my mileage seemed about the same.

I am wondering if the previous owner did anything to cause this as it seems very unusual in comparison the similar Rangers.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone for the advice. My speedometer works and I don't believe I have any brake bleeds. A tune up is definitely going to happen, does anyone reconmend any type of spark plugs? I was just going to go OEM otherwise.

My muffler has a number of holes in it and that is why I will replace it, I do not think anything is crushed anywhere.

I do have a set of tires (with wheels) in my box to add weight during the winter driving, I am sure this makes things worse but before it in the fall without the weight in the back my mileage seemed about the same.

I am wondering if the previous owner did anything to cause this as it seems very unusual in comparison the similar Rangers.
either motorcraft, or ngk plugs are fine.

if ya need a cheap muffler, i got one im selling in the parts for sale section.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the plugs and wires are a pita to change so I would only use MOTORCRAFT DOUBLE PLATINUM AND MOTORCRAFT WIRES THAT COME WITH THE PULLS ON THEM TO HELP INSTALL THEM. clean every thing up and you should pick up some significant mpg

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
The XP Iridium plugs are pretty awesome too. Anything Autolite or Motorcraft I recommend.
the plugs and wires are a pita to change so I would only use MOTORCRAFT DOUBLE PLATINUM AND MOTORCRAFT WIRES THAT COME WITH THE PULLS ON THEM TO HELP INSTALL THEM. clean every thing up and you should pick up some significant mpg
Definitely. It never hurts to spend more because in this case I am sure they will end up paying for themselves in a sense.

I will stick with the same stock sized diameter tires. I will also replace my rusting stock muffler with a Flowmaster 40 Delta series. I will tough out what I have in this cold Michigan weather and begin all this work when it warms up, I can't work on vehicles outside in weather like this.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Use dielectric grease on the plug wire connections. If you ever have to remove your plug wires down the road, you will be glad you used it. It also helps keep moisture out.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
my truck got bad gas mileage and i replaced the O2 sensor and fixed it

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I just thought of something (yes, it hurt). Have you tried seeing if you have any brakes dragging?

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think I have any dragging brakes, to test that I just role it in neutral right and if it roles all is good?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals