• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

07' Focus with duratec 2.0 temp gauge acting weird after coolant sensor replacement

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Replaced the coolant sensor in the top of the block. It's the "updated" sensor so I had to cut and spice a new pig tail to make it work. I first tried just modifying the sensor itself to fit the old pigtail (removed a small shelf of plastic) but it was giving me these same problems so installed the recommended pigtail but it's the same.....

When started cold and allowed to idle until warm the gauge goes up into the normal position as usual (dead center) but as I'm driving the further I go the lower the gauge reads. During continuous driving it settles at the top of the white block and seems to stay there. If I stop at a light after about 30 seconds it begins to go back up. If I sit there long enough it will return to normal centered reading. Then it will start going down again as I drive. It never goes over the middle. Also when the gauge is reading normal the car idles as normal but when the gauge is below normal while driving and I'm stopping for a light, etc. I get hanging revs(like it was still warming up) until I come to a complete stop, then it returns to normal idle.

What gives? Anybody have any ideas? Better yet know what the problem is? Could it be something to do with the "revised" sensor. Does the computer need to "learn" the new type of sensor? I get good heat and all hoses warm up as they should, when they should and even used an infrared to verify so I'm pretty certain it's not a tstat.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
There is another temp sender which is located in the thermostat housing as well.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
mine actually doesn't have the one in the tstat housing. The light was on before with a code for low coolant temp. Gauge worked normal then. Now gauge is wanky but no CIL? I changed it at work yesterday then did the pigtail and a new sensor (in case of the rare bad new) today for a total of about 35 miles. 15 since battery disconnected but no CIL?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals