• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

05 Edge V8 Swap

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Per the OP's questions:

Yes, the Returnless fuel rails will work with a 96-98 motor without a problem *I am running this setup*

Yes, You will have to use a 99-01 ECU *I'm using a 01 ECU*, HOWEVER I've found that several tuners are able to change this setting and/or remove PATS with a tune. *I'm using a crappy sniper, and it offers BOTH Of these options, to disable PATS on an ECU, or to change the Fuel system setting to returnless on an older ECU.

BE AWARE, You will need to have custom engine mount BRACKETS made, as the factory ones will not work on your engine mounts. Your engine MOUNTS will work assuming you have a 4.0 SOHC in the truck currently.

My truck is a 98 std cab, stepside bed, 2wd, and I'm running a 98 engine, with factory 4.0 SOHC Engine mounts, and custom engine BRACKETS, with returnless fuel rails, a 98 2wd Explorer transmission, a 2001 ECU with PATS disabled and the shifts firmed up, Had to wire up a 2001 CPS Sensor *Only real difference between the wiring of 96-2001*, a slipyolk off a 9...7? Crown Victoria *4R70W*, with my factory driveshaft *4cyl*.

I bought a donor truck for my swap, and ended up using very little of it because it was a 4WD.....

I STRONGLY recommend finding a 99 or newer 2wd if possible as you will be able to use far more of the truck, and swap in almost everything 'plug and play'

I don't know what rear-end you currently have in your 05, but I took the explorer rear end I had pulled, and ended up trading it + $50 for a 2005 Ranger FX4 Level 2 rear end so I didn't have to deal with changing the shock perches, and I was already going to lower it, so I had no point in getting an axle that already sat ontop. (On that note, if you want to use the explorers rear end, keep in mind it sits above the leafs opposed to below as the ranger has normally so it will drop the tail of the truck 2-3 inches)

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Per the OP's questions:

Yes, the Returnless fuel rails will work with a 96-98 motor without a problem *I am running this setup*

Yes, You will have to use a 99-01 ECU *I'm using a 01 ECU*, HOWEVER I've found that several tuners are able to change this setting and/or remove PATS with a tune. *I'm using a crappy sniper, and it offers BOTH Of these options, to disable PATS on an ECU, or to change the Fuel system setting to returnless on an older ECU.
He has no PAT's in that year, that's why he's thinking about using the '97' CPU and adding the return system

BE AWARE, You will need to have custom engine mount BRACKETS made, as the factory ones will not work on your engine mounts. Your engine MOUNTS will work assuming you have a 4.0 SOHC in the truck currently.
He also has the Edge model that uses the stock Explorer 5.0L mounts

My truck is a 98 std cab, stepside bed, 2wd, and I'm running a 98 engine, with factory 4.0 SOHC Engine mounts, and custom engine BRACKETS, with returnless fuel rails, a 98 2wd Explorer transmission, a 2001 ECU with PATS disabled and the shifts firmed up, Had to wire up a 2001 CPS Sensor *Only real difference between the wiring of 96-2001*, a slipyolk off a 9...7? Crown Victoria *4R70W*, with my factory driveshaft *4cyl*.

I bought a donor truck for my swap, and ended up using very little of it because it was a 4WD.....

I STRONGLY recommend finding a 99 or newer 2wd if possible as you will be able to use far more of the truck, and swap in almost everything 'plug and play'

I don't know what rear-end you currently have in your 05, but I took the explorer rear end I had pulled, and ended up trading it + $50 for a 2005 Ranger FX4 Level 2 rear end so I didn't have to deal with changing the shock perches, and I was already going to lower it, so I had no point in getting an axle that already sat ontop. (On that note, if you want to use the explorers rear end, keep in mind it sits above the leafs opposed to below as the ranger has normally so it will drop the tail of the truck 2-3 inches)
Depending on how deep his pockets are, can just get a new short block and add the front dress from an Explorer and the CPU and wiring of your choice. Lots of way to go with that swap.
Dave

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder

Also if you have looked at my show off thread as well you will see that I currently have the 3.slow hence why I want to do the 5.0 swap.
One thing that came across my mind is finding a AWD Mountaineer w/ a 5.0 and swapping in the AWD system and 5.0. The end result would be bad ass. Yeah not happening but it would be sick.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I talked to Pete the other day and since he has a programmer to disable PATS, I can expand my search to all yrs explorer, Mustang GT/Cobra and Mauraders. This is going to one sick Ranger when I get done. I may do a 4.6 and make it look stock.

77'cj7

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One thing that came across my mind is finding a AWD Mountaineer w/ a 5.0 and swapping in the AWD system and 5.0. The end result would be bad ass. Yeah not happening but it would be sick.
That actually wouldn't be terribly challenging. If you get a donor truck, the drivetrain should bolt up. The motor swap will be the most challenging part.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Only problem is that my truck is not 4x4. I think a kick ass engine should be good enough.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Only problem is that my truck is not 4x4. I think a kick ass engine should be good enough.
Don't think the drive swap would be "all that tough". You have the same frame and suspension as the 4x4. Motor swap ought to be the easy part. Do you have the '97' CPU wiring for the Explorer to compare to the '05'? Not sure what else changed in the engine wiring.
Dave

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I have not picked anything up yet. The guy that had the expo fixed the problem and jacked up the price. I cannot justify spending 2k on something that I could not get my money back by parting it out and scrapping the body. Like I said I may do a newer model expo with a 4.6. I have not seen very many Rangers with that done yet.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
UPDATE:

I found a donor vehicle down the street from my house. :yahoo:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
got pics of it?

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I will see if it is in the neighborhood tomorrow morning when I get home.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Any updates?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals