• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

04 ranger with 4.0

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys! just to clearly say, i checked for codes i have none..Whats goin on: my truck has been starting hard lately, meaning taking longer to start, also my truck when it idols when warm the RPMS will drop to about 500 rpms from the normal 750..and pop right back up to 750 and return to 500..almost like a tall camshaft/studder...the truck runs fine when not at a stopsign/light or at Mcdonalds..my buddy had a 00 mazda he said it could be the cam position sensor???? does this sound right? he said the gear gets play in it causing my motor not to respond correctly..i dont think thats the case...any suggestions? there doesnt appear to be any vaccum leaks i dont hear it sucking or whistling...my truck has 98,000 miles on it.. HMMMMMMM....things my truck has ..dual exhaust rear cat removed, still have the front with the 02 sensor in it..kn air filter and thats it for motorwise...and suggestions??????:icon_confused::icon_thumby:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
k&n hmmm, have you cleaned your MAF sensor? mine always gets oil on it after cleaning my k&n, so after about a week ill take it out and spray it off to clean any residual oil from the filter off from it. just a thought, im sure some one else will have something to add as im more familiar with the 3.0s.

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Maf IF dirty, would run choppy constantly, and all a KN needs is holding the can 3 feet away from the filter and LIGHTLY "overspraying" your filter, try that once, i always do it and never have problems.. i think im going to try putting in a new battery, and get my alternator checked out For now, it is a 5 year old battery and has been through tough wisconsin winters, so maybe ill get lucky also i gave it a tune up last spring so im sure its not plugs and wires..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals