• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 fx4ranger rear end showed its rear end

hunthard

Reaction score
I need some advice on what to do or which way to go w/ this truck. I had a seal go bad on the right rear of the truck right after Ihad went out riding around one night, so I gathered up all I would need to replace it and when I pulled the cover off the diff I noticed that the carrier case was cracked all the way across from side to side and traveled half way around it. As if that weren't bad enough news beings this is my DD, I figured I would try and buy a used rear end that had a l/s and the 4.10 gears to get it back up and running, until I could save the $$$ to fix it. They sent me the wrong axle assembly and now not wanting to refund it, after the fact of me fighting w/ them for over a week because they shipped it to B.F.E!! So I turned to craigslist to try finding a local one instead of dealing w/ parts brokers and wouldnt u know, found one out of a 03 edge. I know that it is 28 spline, not 31 but it had the l/s 4.10 and 10" drums, so i opted to use it for the time being. After driving 3hrs in a borrowed car to pick it up from my father in laws house after the purchase, I find out that the axle housing on the right side is bent and leaking fluid from a fresh seal, and new axle replacement. After trying to contact the seller about the problem it seems nobody knows where he went. Now I'm feeling a little livid about this whole situation, no $$$, no ride, and no idea of who, what, where , when why, or how I'm goin to fix this, but by god i will not let it whoop me yet!

So now, here I am asking for any and or all the advise I can get on what, how, where should I start w/ this so as I can get back on the road a.s.a.p? Thank u for ur time and sorry about the long rant this is one of my first attempts at trying this on any forums or apps

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
where are you located?

i have a 456 axle you can use for a spell.

rule of thumb, if you cant move the normal "slop travel" of the axle shaft all the way in and out up against the c clip with the brake off, the housing is probably bent bad enough you should pass.

i would run the one you bought for now or have the diff swapped into your housing for now. just drive real careful in slippery conditions till you know it handles acceptably. are you sure the seal leak is not from the shaft being chewed up or improper installation or is the housing bent so bad its patently obvious?

hunthard

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip and the offer, problem w/ the one I got is it has a noticeable bend in it right about where it kicks down in size on the right side of the leaf perches, I know it should have some kickdown beings it is a 28 spline unit, and the other axle assembly I refused to sign for and the company I got it from had a 90 days return policy, so I let them eat the shipping both ways and am disputing it through the card company.

I am located in southern Florida, Hardee County, way off the beaten path, out in the sticks, its nothing but agriculture and citrus all around.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well...when i head out to immokolee i will post up. not sure when but hopefully in the next 20 days or so.

maybe somebody else has something cheap along the way i can grab....my 8.8 is a 31 spline with arb so i dont want to bring it that far:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals