• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What parts to salvage from Explorer, and Sport Tracs for application in my B3000.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Howdy folks,

I have an '03ish Mazda B3000 3.0 V6, Std Cab, Std Bed, 2WD I'm looking to do some work on.

Planning a trip to the junkyard soon, and to my amazement they actually do have 2 Sport Trac Explorers, and one standard Explorer. Here's the details on them:

1. 2004 Explorer Sport Trac, 4WD, 4.0 V6 XLS. It actually looks pretty clean, it's been on the pick and pull lot for 3 months now however so it's probably not entirely complete.
    1712930642484.png
  2. 2007 Explorer Sport Trac, 4WD, 4.6 V8 XLT. Again, looks pretty clean, can't quite see any crash damage from online pictures.
    1712930712796.png
  3. 2007 Explorer, 4WD, 4.6 V8 LIMITED. I think there's a rear impact on the passenger side, but again, can't quite tell why this thing's at the yard just from the photos.
    1712930745062.png

I'm looking at improving the overall utility, and handling of my truck. The main thing I'm hoping to grab is the sway bars front and rear because I've heard they're significantly beefier than the stock ranger units, and also some miscellaneous interior trim pieces like the overhead temperature and direction/sunglasses holder thing.

I won't be grabbing any 8.8s, just don't have the time or the need to tear one of those out while standing in mud.

For those who know my build and goals, but everyone in general, if there's anything you recommend I pick up, please let me know!

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I'm NOT familiar with your build
BUT . . .
From the '04, the rotors and calipers are an upgrade, not sure if the 2nd gen stuff is the same, IF they are, I would grab them off the newest version available.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
BUT . . .
From the '04, the rotors and calipers are an upgrade, not sure if the 2nd gen stuff is the same, IF they are, I would grab them off the newest version available.
Sweet find thanks!

Do you know if this will work on 1998+ Rangers specifically? Or if they're even needed. Most of the articles in the tech library that mention using explorer front brakes seem to specify them being used on 97 and under spindles.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
BUT . . .
Cross referenced the part numbers between my 2003 B3000, and the 04 sport trac's. They're the same 12 inch rotor, and I'm assuming caliper too.

The 2007s look to be a different hub-based setup altogether.

I forgot to put my truck's details at the top of the page my B.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They are completely different rotors because your truck is a coil spring model and the Sport Tracs are torsion bar. Caliper is different too.

You will note, the upgrade in the link was for 2wd Sport Tracs (never sold in Canada, eh) and for '95-97 TIB Rangers (again different caliper setup).

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
They are completely different rotors because your truck is a coil spring model and the Sport Tracs are torsion bar. Caliper is different too.
You're right.

The RWD sport tracs would be the same brake setup, is what I should've said.

That 04 listed is apparently 4WD, although this yard often gets their listings wrong, meaning it has the Torsion bars if correct.

Either way, it wouldn't be an upgrade, or compatible for my current truck no matter how you slice it.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All Sport Tracs have torsion bars; the US 2wd ones would be the rough equivalent of a 2wd Edge Ranger (the torsion bar one that looks like a 4wd but isn't).

The '04 Sport Trac rear axle would be the same as '98-00 Explorer i.e. 8.8 with 31 spline axles and disc brakes.

The newer Sport Trac and Explorer have nothing in common with Ranger - IRS, V8s etc...

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
All Sport Tracs have torsion bars; the US 2wd ones would be the rough equivalent of a 2wd Edge Ranger (the torsion bar one that looks like a 4wd but isn't).

The '04 Sport Trac rear axle would be the same as '98-00 Explorer i.e. 8.8 with 31 spline axles and disc brakes.

The newer Sport Trac and Explorer have nothing in common with Ranger - IRS, V8s etc...
Gotcha, the part numbers between 2wd rangers and 2wd Sport tracs do lineup, at least according to rock auto and Napa.

I'm pretty sure the knuckle's for Edge/DS models still require you to get rotors with onboard wheels studs and do the whole bearing deal as well.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Roof rack...

Overhead console...

Maybe... rear view mirror. Not sure what they used.

Radiator... fuses... relays... ignition coil?... skid plates that can be adapted...

Basically anything you can use and save a trip to the parts store.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Roof rack...

Overhead console...

Maybe... rear view mirror. Not sure what they used.

Radiator... fuses... relays... ignition coil?... skid plates that can be adapted...

Basically anything you can use and save a trip to the parts store.
I'll probably skip on the skid plates, just wouldn't be enough use for them in my application, good call on the fuses and coils, I really should stock up while I can.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I was thinking skip plates to help direct air on the bottom side more then off road protection.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha, the part numbers between 2wd rangers and 2wd Sport tracs do lineup, at least according to rock auto and Napa.

I'm pretty sure the knuckle's for Edge/DS models still require you to get rotors with onboard wheels studs and do the whole bearing deal as well.
You are correct, the Edge/DS/Sport Trac RWD models have integrated hub and rotor. But the 12" rotors are ~3/4" too large for the calipers of a coil spring truck.
There are several threads where members order from Napa/Rockauto/etc and received incompatible parts. Unfortunately, most of the online vendors only ask 4wd/rwd, and don't query about coil/torsion bar front suspension.​
Would 4.0 coil work on 3.slo (I know the V-8 ones won't; same for rad.

Overhead console and roof rack would be challenging to fit on regular cab; maybe rack could be adapted for the topper.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was thinking skip plates to help direct air on the bottom side more then off road protection.
You're right about that. I've got some sheet aluminum that I was planning to use for the under trays, but if those skid plates are light enough it might be a good idea to grab them, if not just to get an idea of mounting solutions, thanks Gump!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I don't know if the coil would work... that is why I put a ?.

I'm pretty certain I've seen explorer/sport trac roof racks modified to a Ranger cab. It certainly wouldn't be a bolt on mod.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't know if the coil would work... that is why I put a ?.

I'm pretty certain I've seen explorer/sport trac roof racks modified to a Ranger cab. It certainly wouldn't be a bolt on mod.
I would most definitely be putting any sort of rack onto my bed cap, which does have rails already installed. The standard cab would never fit a roof rack short of mounting it across the roof from the cab to the bed cap. Which sounds like a terrible idea given frame flex.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals