• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Thanks for the link. It saved me a bunch of searching, comparing and wondering if they are legit. It's ordered and now I'll have both sides for this summer. My third eye sees some sheet metal work in my future.

Now to hit up Tractor Supply and snag a small chunk of 18ga steel for any inner wheel well repair that is needed. I haven't really looked but I'm sure there are some spots it will be needed.

I have a 120v mig welder, some magnets and a couple clamps but I may hit up harbor freight and grab a few more clamps just so I have enough on hand. Must remember to try to find a spot weld drill bit and possibly a seam buster also.
You can never have too many welding clamps and magnets! Ask any fabricator.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the link. It saved me a bunch of searching, comparing and wondering if they are legit. It's ordered and now I'll have both sides for this summer. My third eye sees some sheet metal work in my future.

Now to hit up Tractor Supply and snag a small chunk of 18ga steel for any inner wheel well repair that is needed. I haven't really looked but I'm sure there are some spots it will be needed.

I have a 120v mig welder, some magnets and a couple clamps but I may hit up harbor freight and grab a few more clamps just so I have enough on hand. Must remember to try to find a spot weld drill bit and possibly a seam buster also.
You’re welcome! My first thought when I saw your post was about where I got my stuff. I’ve ordered from LMC and I have got some Amazon/EBay sheet metal. When I refurbished my F-150 years ago, I ended up buying everything from Raybuck, actually called them because a couple pieces I needed they didn’t have listed and they said they could get the stuff but they didn’t list some parts because they didn’t sell many or shipping was crazy (like a new core support). Not a problem for me because I live close enough I just picked it all up.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Carnage confirmed. The brand new CV joint I installed on the front driveshaft is toast. Can't blame it on the joint, I'm pretty certain that it could have been avoided. When I reinstalled the joint on the truck I tightened the bolts for the joint well. I think after rolling a few miles the CV seated in the flange better and loosened up the bolts. That allowed gaps between the sections of the joint and when the grease got warm/hot, the rotation slung all of it out. Boot was intact, but grease was everywhere except in the joint and the bearings were galled.

New joint ordered and lesson learned. After installing the new joint, check the bolts a few times within the first couple short drives. Also got things torn back apart to swap out the AC condenser and compressor tomorrow. Hopefully both of those will be fixed this weekend. That'll just leave figuring out the high speed only for the blower fan, I've already replaced the resistor with no change.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
New mass air flow sensor with housing.

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
What I did today to my Ranger today - We're in a new class this year(Super/Pro) so I had to make a new T-shirt design. Only a couple of tenths quicker than the minimum ET for the class so I should be leaving first most of the time which is what I prefer. Hence the "catch me if you can" line LOL. I even get to use a delay box this season....

PR2024B.png

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Replacement A/C somponents installed, cooling system reinstalled, and bleeding coolant system.

Tomorrow dad will probably finish bleeding the coolant system and attempt to charge the A/C. I'd be working on it myself, but hopefully new fan motor for my house AC system will be here tomorrow and I'll be getting it installed. I hopefully all goes right on both fronts, otherwise I'll be back in there again. Weather is approaching the territory of needing AC for part of the day and I don't need to spend any more money that stuff right now.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
My youngest son took it to work because he is picking up a jeep rack after work and it wint fit in his mazda

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Ran a few errands in the ole Strangler this morning and then parked her for a nap while I worked on and test drove the ole Jimmy 5500. I'm trying real hard to like this truck after all the problems it has given me since buying it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Ran a few errands in the ole Strangler this morning and then parked her for a nap while I worked on and test drove the ole Jimmy 5500. I'm trying real hard to like this truck after all the problems it has given me since buying it.
I hate to say it. But, if you have to "try" to like it, its a lost cause, trade it for something that makes you happy when you look at the driveway.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
I hate to say it. But, if you have to "try" to like it, its a lost cause, trade it for something that makes you happy when you look at the driveway.
I overall like the truck. Wish it was the version with the cat diesel and 7 speed. The 8.1 is a troublesome monster, and right after I got it at the first of Feburary, it developed fuel pump problems. The fuel pump module is NLA and sourcing one has been a two month ordeal. My fuel pressure still isn't right. I don't trust it, and yeah, when I know it's not going to die as soon as I sell it, I'm selling it.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Did two things, one yesterday and one today.

Yesterday, I replaced my shift tube bushings to fix the floppy column shift, they were basically just dust. Because I know the tube itself can wear out as well, I bought the Dorman kit with tube and bushings and figured I'd replace it all, as the truck does have 250k on it. That was not a good idea as I soon discovered....

As far as the wear on the original tube, I was wrong about that. Yes, the shift tube has a little tiny bit of wear where the interlock pin goes, but I smoothed it out with a file and it was fine. The new tube was a joke. Easily two or three millimeters of slop between the plunger and tube, as well as a horrible casting quality and finish. Even the old tube only had maybe one millimeter of play in it, AFTER 250k. The part was a joke. I didn't put it in, I just cleaned and re-greased the original tube, put new bushings on, and put it all back together and it feels great.

You can't get good quality parts anymore, I swear. I find myself going to pull a part/LKQ more and more often, as the used genuine old parts are better than the new garbage that is all we can get. :pissedoff:

Today, I put together a little tee adapter for the upcoming oil pressure gauge install. I didn't want to spend $30 on the sandwich plate, and with the factory sender in a good location I just made up a fitting to allow me to tack on the new sensor while keeping the original as well.

tempImage96xOdH.png
tempImageFqmCni.png

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Today, I put together a little tee adapter for the upcoming oil pressure gauge install. I didn't want to spend $30 on the sandwich plate, and with the factory sender in a good location I just made up a fitting to allow me to tack on the new sensor while keeping the original as well.

View attachment 108780
Been a minute or two since I've looked... but I don't remember there being a bunch of room for all that.

I also remember the days when dorman stuff was first rate. Not so much any more.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
I found the cause of the clicking/grinding noise….. CV boot has left the chat. About 3 millimeters of up and down play in the joint now. Any suggestions for brand of joint? I know dorman makes one but I haven’t had the best luck with them lately.
IMG_6057.jpeg

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I found the cause of the clicking/grinding noise….. CB boot has left the chat. About 3 millimeters of up and down play in the joint now. Any suggestions for brand of joint? I know dorman makes one but I haven’t had the best luck with them lately.View attachment 108810
Not sure if this helps, but these are the brands RockAuto offers: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2003,ranger,4.0l+v6,1438311,drivetrain,drive+shaft,2308

Trakmotive is the only one to offer a lifetime warranty. That may or may not mean anything. The rest are 12 months or 12 months/18,000 miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals