• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LS1 Ranger

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Spark plugs are easy to change depending on how u build headers they should be simple to get to..when I had my buddy weld up my headers they got tweaked so I have to loosen the header to get to the number 4 plug but the others are easy...way better then having to pull the coil packs off every time u need to change ur plugs
Never had to loosen anything (aside from the CP's) on my 5.4... and it is a once in a 100k mile event anyway, so maybe you have to do it what 3-4 times at best?

It is easier than my 2.8 was with the A/C heater box on either of my trucks now (1985 5.0 Ranger that is scary easy and 2002 5.4 F-150)

crossbreeding should be illegal, just saying
I so want to build on that, but years of dealing with people that do this kind of thing has taught me not too... so I try to stay somewhat neutral on the subject. It just seems to make things go easier. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Danger_ranger83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Never had to loosen anything (aside from the CP's) on my 5.4... and it is a once in a 100k mile event anyway, so maybe you have to do it what 3-4 times at best?

It is easier than my 2.8 was with the A/C heater box on either of my trucks now (1985 5.0 Ranger that is scary easy and 2002 5.4 F-150)

I so want to build on that, but years of dealing with people that do this kind of thing has taught me not too... so I try to stay somewhat neutral on the subject. It just seems to make things go easier. :icon_thumby:
I have changed 2 of my plugs since the swap and that's only bc I dropped the header and broke them...another good thing about the Ls platform is the coils don't go out every time someone even mentions the word water around them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have changed 2 of my plugs since the swap and that's only bc I dropped the header and broke them...another good thing about the Ls platform is the coils don't go out every time someone even mentions the word water around them.
I have put 50k on my '150 in almost 6 years, and have changed one coilpack... and I blame that on my stupidity seeing if the blizzard was as bad as the guy on the radio had said. He was wrong, it was worse. :icon_thumby:

Dunno if it really killed it, it had a intermitant miss and I had a set of plugs and boots already because it was about time to change them anyway. I found one hole with water in it and went ahead and changed the coil while I was there.

Neither here nor there though, while the powerband would certianly be fun and reliablity outstanding, the mod's are not very RBV swap friendly... or I would have skipped the 302 in a heartbeat for a 5.4.

Last edited:

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
or I would have skipped the 302 in a heartbeat for a 5.4.
thought about that along with the modular 4.6 swap, then said hell with it, L-Series...

Danger_ranger83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why wouldn't you want the best of everything?
Agreed..the ls platform is so easy to get horsepower out of..nice ported heads, decent cam and ur way over 400 hp...let's see u get that out of a 4.6

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my whole thing isn't about the LS being better than the 4.6. I don't even want to open the can of shit that will come with that statement, whether it is true or not, i honestly don't know. I simply like the L Series engines, have become semi familiar with how to work on one, and am very pleased with the reliability, performance, and mileage these motors put out. I'm not saying a Ford motor couldn't, just don't really care to do the research to find out. When it comes down to it, LS motors are fantastic in their own right, and I am not selling the Ranger, so might as well make what i have, what i want it to be.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
^^^ This. They are a compact reliable powerful package, and have the largest aftermarket support of any currently available engine....

AND THEY'RE CHEAP!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
ya, bout that... haven't paid more then $700 (each) for the 3 L-series I've bought so far... complete. Do some searching, they're available!

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yea im still kicking myself for letting that 5-3 get away for 300 bucks

Danger_ranger83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a complete wreck 2000 model 3/4 ton for $800 with motor, tranny and wiring harness

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals