• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

R.I.P. to my 302 - What should I do now?

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.performanceautomatic.com/products/ford-racing-transmissions/c4-transmissions/

For a C4 good to 450HP, you're looking at $1,400...that is NOT expensive.

For an extra $200 their C4 is good to 750HP...that's just $100 more than the cost of an average automatic tranny rebuild job around here!

The 5R55E in my Ranger was rebuilt about 6 months ago...cost me $1,500.

-I don't mean to sound like a stuck-up jerk, b/c I don't have 1,400$ right now to spend on a c4, heh...just thought those prices didn't seem high comparing my recent rebuild!-

Last edited:

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
BAD...did you build it yourself? $200, now that is cheap!!!

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I had a friend go thru it. It came with the $400 77 Comet I have now, I just paid for the rebuild kit to freshen it up. I let others buy new stuff and pay thru the nose.:icon_thumby:

dagoof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sorry last ? before I order them is this part BSP-69520 different from this BSP-69529 besides the color? thanks again:icon_thumby:
Yup you got um. Those are nice pieces. I think mine was the 69529.

They come with little brackets that will mount the looms horizontally along side of the valve covers. You can modify the brackets, or drill new holes in the looms like I did to make them stand up on end.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a sugestion, I wouldn't build a 347 for a daily driver as the wrist pin on most 347 pistons intersect the oil ring. it may not be a problem but I wouldn't chance it. instead of spending money on the rotating assembly. why not buy a GOOD set of cylinder heads I.E. aluminum heads like fms gt 40 x heads or edelbrock performer rpm. afr 165cc or whatever. but it will give you more power for the money spent and then run a smaller toque type cam like a comp extreme energy 268. I have seen 5.0 stangs make 300+ hp at the rear wheels with that combo. not to mention the weight savings from the heads and the less weight on the nose of the truck
as for the aod it will work with a carb just get the t.v. cable adjusted by someone who knows how and put a hardened input shaft in it. do not skimp on this or you will not be happy.
as far as a used engine; compression check it if possible, hear it run and see oil pressure with your gauge as stated. if you can find a 5.0 out of a mustang they came with forged pistons from 85-93. and they are a roller block so you could run a roller cam and make good torque.
if you go too big with the cam you will need to change the torque convertor. that is probably why you couldn't burn tire.
as far as your gearing goes I would check your ratios manually. my hot rod has 28 inch tires on the back and 4:10 gears with a 3000 hughes converter and I am only turning 3100 @65mph.
dollar for dollar that is what I would do. But like I said it is just a suggestion.
Duane

Last edited:

dagoof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a sugestion, I wouldn't build a 347 for a daily driver as the wrist pin on most 347 pistons intersect the oil ring. it may not be a problem but I wouldn't chance it. instead of spending money on the rotating assembly. why not buy a GOOD set of cylinder heads I.E. aluminum heads like fms gt 40 x heads or edelbrock performer rpm. afr 165cc or whatever. but it will give you more power for the money spent and then run a smaller toque type cam like a comp extreme energy 268. I have seen 5.0 stangs make 300+ hp at the rear wheels with that combo. not to mention the weight savings from the heads and the less weight on the nose of the truck
as for the aod it will work with a carb just get the t.v. cable adjusted by someone who knows how and put a hardened input shaft in it. do not skimp on this or you will not be happy.
as far as a used engine; compression check it if possible, hear it run and see oil pressure with your gauge as stated. if you can find a 5.0 out of a mustang they came with forged pistons from 85-93. and they are a roller block so you could run a roller cam and make good torque.
if you go too big with the cam you will need to change the torque convertor. that is probably why you couldn't burn tire.
as far as your gearing goes I would check your ratios manually. my hot rod has 28 inch tires on the back and 4:10 gears with a 3000 hughes converter and I am only turning 3100 @65mph.
dollar for dollar that is what I would do. But like I said it is just a suggestion.
Duane
When I get back into it, I'm going to build a 347 from scratch. No more used engines. I'll put a complete rotating assembly in it and go with some good aluminum heads. I'm hoping to get at least 350 HP range.

As far as the cam / tire burning, I did have a tourque cam, but the 3.73's combined with my 31's and a poorly adjusted carb just wouldn't get it done. I've been crunching numbers, and I think that my plans for a AOD+4.56+33-35's would be a lot better at both tire spinning and also highway driving.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
My setup is AOD (4R70W), 456, and 33's...I was getting better mpg's running the 37's, so I would run no smaller than 35 if you go with 456's...
SVT

dagoof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My setup is AOD (4R70W), 456, and 33's...I was getting better mpg's running the 37's, so I would run no smaller than 35 if you go with 456's...
SVT
Thanks,

Are you able to spin those 33's?

What is your RPM at 75 mph on the freeway?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I spin the dog snot out of the 33's...A stock chevy s-10 extreme with the 4.3 couldn't keep up with me...It won't be long though, I'll be swapping that motor out for a 358...
SVT

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Build a 351W and be done with it.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
When I get back into it, I'm going to build a 347 from scratch. No more used engines. I'll put a complete rotating assembly in it and go with some good aluminum heads. I'm hoping to get at least 350 HP range.

As far as the cam / tire burning, I did have a tourque cam, but the 3.73's combined with my 31's and a poorly adjusted carb just wouldn't get it done. I've been crunching numbers, and I think that my plans for a AOD+4.56+33-35's would be a lot better at both tire spinning and also highway driving.
350HP is a piece of cake. You don't even have to try, heh. Heads, cam, intake, 1.7 rollers. 400hp+. :icon_cheers:

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No more used engines. As far as the cam / tire burning, I did have a tourque cam, but the 3.73's combined with my 31's and a poorly adjusted carb just wouldn't get it done. I've been crunching numbers, and I think that my plans for a AOD+4.56+33-35's would be a lot better at both tire spinning and also highway driving.
I wasn't saying use a used engine I was saying it might be cheaper and easier to rebuild the stock rotating assembly on what ever motor you use.

also that truck should have ripped the tires off that truck.
if that carb was that far out of adjustment that could have been your problem all along.
you might have leaned it out so it started detonating and burned out the gasket and cylinder.
and 350 hp is easy with a 302
EDIT:eek:k I reread what I wrote and I meant IF you want to use a used engine the 5.0 had forged pistons. but I understand wanting a rebuilt one.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals