• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbag dash light blinking

Pablorapido

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good afternoon, this airbag concerns a friends 1996 Explorer. After starting the vehicle the airbag light blinks intermittenly while the vehicle is in use. He was wondering if this was dangerous or if it is a sensor etc. I live in Mexico and it is difficult to get these type of things checked and fixed. Thank you all for any help you can give. It is a 2 wheel drive Explorer. Gracias, thank you Pablo

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
ford offered to fix the same in the f-250 work truck i drive,bad sensor they said.wanted like $150.i live with the light being on.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
This happens to my 02 Ranger periodically. The first time it was repaired under warranty. When it came back a year later I just disconnected the connector under the seat that goes to the seat belt. I clean it with an electrical contact cleaner that has a corrosion inhibitor in it then connect and disconnect it a few times to wear through the oxidation. That takes care of the problem for about a year. In my case it is the passenger side but I think it can happen on the driver side also.

I don't know if the Explorer has the same system but it can't hurt to take a look.

Craigatitus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Does anybody know if the blinking indicates which sensor is having issues?

In my 95 Ranger 4.0L the air bag light will flash twice then once and it will do this three times before staying on solid everytime I drive. (It could be flashing once then twice, I've grown to ignore it lately)

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
if you have access to a ford tech all you need to do is count the sequence of the blinks and tell them. they can look it up for you and tell you what it is. the light should give you 3 sequences of blinks. this happened to my 03 my brother is a ford tech and it was the one under the seat. i just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it went away. if the light stays on the airbag will not deploy when it is needed, so i would get it checked out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals