• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WTH? What's wrong with this Tundra Frame?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I definitely don't like the way the new Tundra looks, but I still thinks the Chevy Colorado/Canyon still takes the win for ugliest truck ever.

jgrnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey jgrnot. Are you talking about the Home Depot on Country Hills by were Silver City / Empire studios 16 is?
Nope. I'm in Reno, NV. I haven't been to Calgary in almost 10 years. I haven't lived there in almost 20 years. I need to get my ass up there again. I'm sure it's grown quite a bit.

Twitch57

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
foreign made pos- thats what i think

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I'm not sure how the Honda ridgeline got into the conversation but but comparing it to any real pickup is just wrong.They are great for light duty stuff.Thats it. I can tell you this.My assclown for a friend did this to my so called heavy duty E250 over the summer.Bending the input and output shafts and in the end it destroyed transmission with 8k on it.Big lesson learned:bawling:

2000 dollars later and my truck is still not right.
The moral of the story is two fold.
Don't let friends borrow your truck EVER
Don't be an idiot and think your truck can tow anything unless it says Mack
Looks like your friend bottomed out the suspension. Were you there when it happened? Hard to tell what he was doing to it. I don't think the van's have overload springs on them. But they test all that stuff from the factory. The bumpstops should stop the suspension from loading up enough to do that. I don't know what the dude could have done to break that.

I don't condone towing way over the limit, however, I never felt scared with that load. I had the proper setup, fifth wheel trailer, electric brakes, and an independant rear suspension... oh wait, nevermind, my truck has a real axle with tubes on each side of the differential.

:icon_rofl:

In all seriousness, we have a 2005 2500HD at work, long bed, reg cab that just turned 110K of nothing but towing those size trailers back from Elkhart, IN on a weekly, sometimes daily basis. I shit you not, the only maitenance so far was 3 sets of tires, a new guage cluster, and oil changes. Still has the OEM brakes. I am a ford guy, but that truck is impressive.

Maybe the new trucks will hold up like the big 3, I guess only time will tell.

I just looked up the tow ratings for a 2002 Tundra, it's rated for 5,000.

Last edited:

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just looked up the tow ratings for a 2002 Tundra, it's rated for 5,000.
Old tundras suck, the 07+ tundras are all new, hence the now over double tow rating on the new ones.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
foreign made pos- thats what i think
Tundra plants are in Indiana and Texas, Last I checked those states are still part of the US.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Old tundras suck, the 07+ tundras are all new, hence the now over double tow rating on the new ones.
Agreed, just pointing this out because Will made it clear that my 6 year old 2002 F-250 could only tow #7500.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Tundra plants are in Indiana and Texas, Last I checked those states are still part of the US.
Last time I checked they were, but that doesn't mean that the money will stay in the US and not go to the company after costs. The only money that really stays in the US from the Toyota, Honda, Hyndai and whatever other import companies in the US and Canada is the money to pay the workers, the Rent or Lease of the buildings (if applicable) and the utilities, after the US section of the company, the money is transfered back to the higher management back in Japan. Its a Japanese company, the headquarters will stay in Japan. It is no more domestic then an older Toyota that was made in Japan and sent to North America. Just because the VIN says its made in US or Canada, it doesn't, mean its a Domestic.

As a side note, I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "**** your Jap car, Patriotic my ass", I think it seems fitting.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Last time I checked they were, but that doesn't mean that the money will stay in the US and not go to the company after costs. The only money that really stays in the US from the Toyota, Honda, Hyndai and whatever other import companies in the US and Canada is the money to pay the workers, the Rent or Lease of the buildings (if applicable) and the utilities, after the US section of the company, the money is transfered back to the higher management back in Japan. Its a Japanese company, the headquarters will stay in Japan. It is no more domestic then an older Toyota that was made in Japan and sent to North America. Just because the VIN says its made in US or Canada, it doesn't, mean its a Domestic.

As a side note, I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "**** your Jap car, Patriotic my ass", I think it seems fitting.
Freedom in america, means I have the choice to spend my Hard earned money on what I want, correct? So I bought a truck that met my needs. Im not going to spend 30+K on a truck that doesnt suit what I need, just because its company is from america.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

First off, using a bumper sticker as the closing bolsterer to your argument is sad. It almost makes me think i should not waste my time responding to your obviously not-so-well thought out post. But I will.

You see, Toyota does put their money here. They are investing it all over with new plants, upgrades to existing plants, and hiring people at the dealership level. Granted all this comes out of a Japanese bank account. Then we have the "Big Three". Or maybe the big one, three and four would be more fitting. Where is all the investment from them? South of the Texas/Mexico border, that's where. Oh yeah, I am soooo gonna defend domestics. Maybe the folks at Mazda that have been building Ford parts should defend them too. I am also sure that all the folks in Brazil and Mexico working for Ford and GM should sign on and tell us how much "jap crap" sucks.

I love my Ranger. My friends Tacoma is damn nice too. But I will admit if I wanted to sell my Ranger I wouldn't get nearly what Ray would get for his Tacoma, that's a year older with nearly 20 thousand more miles.

Buddy, if you judge a product solely on where it's from, you will be pissing money away for the rest of your life. Read consumer reports or maybe call the local auto wholesalers and ask them how shitty Toyota's are.

PS I like Ford trucks. Not because they are domestic but because I think they do the job best for the money. That's where my domestic support will end. The American companies have been unable to beat the Japanese in the car biz for nearly 20 years now. Now they have to start making way for the Koreans who have greatly improved quality over the last 5-6 years. Ford has the right idea with the Fusion which is fairing well against the Camry and Accord but that's all they have brought to the table so far. GM and Chrysler? they may as well hang it up right now and save the stockholders the loss.

Last edited:

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
To each their own.

I will always buy a Ford or Chevy. Not that I have anything against the other manufacturers, it's just personal preference. Each vehicles has it's strengths and weaknesses.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love my Ranger. My friends Tacoma is damn nice too. But I will admit if I wanted to sell my Ranger I wouldn't get nearly what Ray would get for his Tacoma, that's a year older with nearly 20 thousand more miles.

Buddy, if you judge a product solely on where it's from, you will be pissing money away for the rest of your life. Read consumer reports or maybe call the local auto wholesalers and ask them how shitty Toyota's are.
You see he also paid more for it, I never will figure out people that pay $5000 more (for example) for a vehicle when they get it for the hope of getting $2000 more when they sell it. I ran into that when I was looking for my F-150, every one would go on about how Chevy had a better resale and were a better investment, but my F-150 was 3-5k cheaper than every comparable GM I looked at and still has more torque than a 2008 5.3.

CR released a statement that they won't base their ratings purely on the reputation of the company any more, after they got burned on the new Tundra last year.

The 500/new Taurus is a nice car too, along with the 265hp Edge and then the Focus isn't horrible either...

jgrnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im not going to spend 30+K on a truck that doesnt suit what I need, just because its company is from america.
But you will spend near $40,000 or more for the same truck with a Japanese logo on it????

Last I checked, foreign autos were priced WELL ABOVE American autos. Whether it's European or Asian. Unless it's a Hyundai, Kia, or Daewoo (sp?) you're paying thousands over American.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You see he also paid more for it, I never will figure out people that pay $5000 more (for example) for a vehicle when they get it for the hope of getting $2000 more when they sell it. I ran into that when I was looking for my F-150, every one would go on about how Chevy had a better resale and were a better investment, but my F-150 was 3-5k cheaper than every comparable GM I looked at and still has more torque than a 2008 5.3.

CR released a statement that they won't base their ratings purely on the reputation of the company any more, after they got burned on the new Tundra last year.

The 500/new Taurus is a nice car too, along with the 265hp Edge and then the Focus isn't horrible either...
Resale is based on "Residual Percentage". This is the percentage of the purchase price that the vehicle is worth at the arbitrary 6 year 60k mark. That is where the Tacoma wins along with others (Camry, Accord, Altima). The percentage is higher and therefore no matter what you pay, you retain more of the value.

I work in this industry and have for 12 years, I like Ford trucks but I see how it really works too. No "Buy American" blinders can block reality.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
But you will spend near $40,000 or more for the same truck with a Japanese logo on it????

Last I checked, foreign autos were priced WELL ABOVE American autos. Whether it's European or Asian. Unless it's a Hyundai, Kia, or Daewoo (sp?) you're paying thousands over American.
My tundra lists sticker for 37K, I paid 32k out the door and they gave me 2k more then bluebook for my ranger. so no i wouldnt spend 40k. and ford doesnt offer a 1/2 ton crew cab truck with a 6.5' foot bed with 385 hp and 400ft/lbs.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals