• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newb! Howdy! Here to LEARN!

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy! I'm Jamie, Don't own a Ranger yet, but am scouring the ads feverishly! :LOL: Wanting to know the best years, engine tranny combo, etc. Need a super reliable one! I prefer an automatic, but am not opposed to a manual. Not looking for max power, just a runabout and grocery getter. Reliability and lowest cost of repairs/maintenance are the big factors. Any comments on the above are appreciated. I'll start reading everything on the forum and see what I can learn.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Cheapest and most reliable would probably be a 2.3duratech/5sp/2wd.

Mainly cause the 2.9 trucks are getting pretty old

Welcome to TRS

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks....are there better years than others within the 2001 - 2006 ranger?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
for the 2.3 Duratec they had intake baffle & heated thermostat issues in 2001/2002.
starting in 2003 a redesign eliminated those.

I bought a 2005 new, currently have over 370,000 miles on it.
only real issue was losing compression on one cylinder at about 320,000 miles.
after a swap it was found to have stuck/non-sealing rings in cyl #1.
the other cylinders, and bearings, were perfect.

all in all, a regular cab 4 cylinder ranger is a great run-about truck.

Reactions: MaD

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Man, if you're near where you say you're near you're in the middle of nowhere. The last vehicle I bought for a primary was in 2006 and news papers were still going strong so it was possible to get there before the crowd if you did it right. These days I have no clue how to get there first, or even early
You might shop around Altus, maybe even Lawton, and hope to catch someone shipping out one of the airbases and leaving one behind, but you will really need to brush up on looking one over and knowing how to pick a plum from a lemon.
If you advertise for one there you will need to know these things double :/
I'd suggest keeping up on these Ranger forums to learn as much as you can before trying to pick one out, even tho time is not on your side when shopping for a vehicle, but you do NOT wish to end up with a lemon, so plz do be careful
Good luck with it dude, and don't forget to ask lots of questions

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 2004 and newer (1998-2011) 3rd generation Ranger had larger diameter front disk brakes which I like (put them on my 2002 Ranger). My choice, which I have, is a 4WD extended cab Ranger. The 3.0L push-rod V6 is pretty wimpy but very durable. Truck will run 80 mph all day. Just takes a while to get up to speed.

I gather that the 4.0L is no powerhouse either but the overhead cams mean a more complex engine.

One good thing about Rangers is that there are plenty out there meaning parts are readily available.

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks all for the replies and advice. Currently, I am leaning more towards a 2003 and up, 4 cyl, (maybe a 3.0L V6) manual tranny with less than 100,000 miles. I do just need a reliable get around vehicle, but knowing me, I never leave anything alone. It will get some kind of treatment to make it nicer...taller tires, bed cover maybe, perhaps a worthless bolt together fake roll bar! hahah... I'm not concerned about location much. I can travel 250 miles or so to get the right one. And yes, time and patience will suss that out....probably too late in the year to get one for this winter and put away the bike, but I'm not in a hurry (so he says now before having to ride to the grocery store in sub zero weather)....as always, advice and suggestions are appreciated and given due consideration.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Go for a 4cyl. The meager amount of extra power the 3.0 makes over the 2.3 isn't worth the mpg penalty

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
Leaning that direction....lots of them to choose from....BTW....I am about to search this question, but what is the WIDEST wheels that can be put on a ranger without them sticking out of the wheel wells? Right up to absolute flush is fine, tho

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
The v6 3.0 with 5 speed is awesome in my 05 edge. A perfevt run about truck

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Leaning that direction....lots of them to choose from....BTW....I am about to search this question, but what is the WIDEST wheels that can be put on a ranger without them sticking out of the wheel wells? Right up to absolute flush is fine, tho
I have some 8 hole steelies on my 96 that are pretty flush with the fenders.. unsure of width or backspacing numbers though.. I can measure tomorrow. They look to be 8" wide though with lower backspacing than stock, 225s on them.

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
The v6 3.0 with 5 speed is awesome in my 05 edge. A perfevt run about truck
Its a choice on the menu. Like to keep things simple and reliable with a low cost of repair. I'm not too concerned about gas mileage. Where I am, its a mile or less to anywhere in town. Cant really see me doing more than a couple thou miles a year.

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
Man, if you're near where you say you're near you're in the middle of nowhere. The last vehicle I bought for a primary was in 2006 and news papers were still going strong so it was possible to get there before the crowd if you did it right. These days I have no clue how to get there first, or even early
You might shop around Altus, maybe even Lawton, and hope to catch someone shipping out one of the airbases and leaving one behind, but you will really need to brush up on looking one over and knowing how to pick a plum from a lemon.
If you advertise for one there you will need to know these things double :/
I'd suggest keeping up on these Ranger forums to learn as much as you can before trying to pick one out, even tho time is not on your side when shopping for a vehicle, but you do NOT wish to end up with a lemon, so plz do be careful
Good luck with it dude, and don't forget to ask lots of questions
Well, they do refer to the town I am in as the edge of the earth...so yea...not middle of nowhere...the EDGE of nowhere! While I have not owned a car since 1986, I am very mechanically inclined. I know what to check and how to check it...but yes, the oddities of the model are unknown to me at this time....hence...I be here to learn!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Its a choice on the menu. Like to keep things simple and reliable with a low cost of repair. I'm not too concerned about gas mileage. Where I am, its a mile or less to anywhere in town. Cant really see me doing more than a couple thou miles a year.
Both engines are reliable. Both will cost about the same to fix. Havent drove a duratec truck but the 3.0 will make you wonder if its really a V6.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals