• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My idea of a Shelby Ranger if there would have been one.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went to the JY to find some parts for my Civic. While there decided I couldn't leave without looking for Ranger stuff... Found this!! It's a 1" sway for sure!!!!!

[/IMG]

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I though the 1" sway bar was only on the 89-90 BII's, but I could be wrong.
Here's what I now know about the illusive 1'' sway bar.. They were on at least back to 1988 and came on 2 wheel drives.... I personally pulled the one I found off of such a BII... I would assume they were maybe on 4x4s as well but beats me. Still don't know all the year models though...

Last edited:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I'm glad you found one, now get it on there, and see how it does.

Robert

sent with a bottle of Prograff and a glass of milk.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If anyone wants a 3\4 bar + end links with all the hardware and new urathane bushings let me know I'll take 45 bucks + whatever it takes to ship it

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Here's what I now know about the illusive 1'' sway bar.. They were on at least back to 1988 and came on 2 wheel drives.... I personally pulled the one I found off of such a BII... I would assume they were maybe on 4x4s as well but beats me. Still don't know all the year models though...
Glad you found 1. It should make a noticeable difference.

Mine came off a '90 xlt 2wd. So now we know they were on atleast 88-90 2wds, maybe someone else can chime in if they got one off a 4x4. It would be nice to narrow it down to years and models that they available on.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad you found 1. It should make a noticeable difference.

Mine came off a '90 xlt 2wd. So now we know they were on atleast 88-90 2wds, maybe someone else can chime in if they got one off a 4x4. It would be nice to narrow it down to years and models that they available on.
I couldn't agree more...

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking earlier since the truck is near done how It's measured up to My idea of a Shelby Ranger. I looked back at all I had done. So to kinda break it down. I put a slick shiney paint job on it, Lowered it, urathane bushings, sun roof, decent sound system, shaved the tailgate handle, flatened the tailgate, wide wheels and tires, bigger throttle body, headers, muffler for better sound, ground effects, Hurst shifter, K&N air filter, Polished intake, Polished Alternator, Shelby and Cobra badges, hidden hitch to keep it a truck, bigger than Ranger stock sway bar, painted the engine, different steering wheel, all white guage faces, High Volume Melling oil pump.. Of course there were lots of other things I would like to have done but I can't manufacture parts or have a CNC machine in the basement to custom fab anything. And alot of parts aren't made anymore.. Like the Vortec Super Charger. Nor am I loaded with cash to have custom stuff done. So for what I had to play with I feel I did a pretty good job. In fact I think it came out better than expected...

There are things I am going to still do. Future plans are finish the interior to make it by far more Shelby, add more components to the sound system, Front brake upgrade to dual piston Cobra, maybe build a 4.0 or do a 5.0 swap, and maybe Gold Stripes to Hertz it up a bit... So If I worked for Mr Shelby and presented my Idea of a Shelby Ranger to him would I need to pack my tools and look for another job or would he have liked the idea?

Last edited:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
So If I worked for Mr Shelby and presented my Idea of a Shelby Ranger to him would I need to pack my tools and look for another job or would he have liked the idea?

I think he would have approved and hopefully built the truck with a 5.0 from the Ford factory, or even better a 428.:icon_thumby:

I know I like your truck better then all the other trucks on here, but that is just me.

Robert

Sent with a copy of Myth busters and my .02.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think he would have approved and hopefully built the truck with a 5.0 from the Ford factory, or even better a 428.:icon_thumby:

I know I like your truck better then all the other trucks on here, but that is just me.

Robert

Sent with a copy of Myth busters and my .02.
Thanks Buddy!! I'd like to do a 5.0 swap but the only way I would is keep the AC... I haven't seen one with the AC still in place...

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are worried about losing the AC, you haven't checked out the V-8 swap section. Lots of guys down your way have fixed that "problem". Not much at all to modify. I'm sure Teddyzee down there has some great pictures for reference. If you are going to run that Cobra emblem, best be able to back it up! Knoiw a guy down in Acworth that I'm sure has been running AC in his swap and he's been running it for five years, now swithcing to a 331.
Dave

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking at my "Donor" car, it's a 95 t-bird with the 4.6, I notice the ac is all in the cab, with only 2 hose's coming through.

I would like to find a explorer that I could trade my t-bird for that has the 5.0 in it.

I was thinking about the Cobra thing, I think Mr Shelby would have put a small block 427 in it, I watched a tv show about the new cobra's that you can buy that are from Africa, and I think I remember them saying that they only way he would indorse them was if they used the small block 427, but of course I then seen the one on the power block that they built that has the built 5.0.

any how, I love your truck, for me being 6'4", I would have used a supercab, but any how, it's yours and it's wonderful.

Robert

sent with a BR549 and a cold glass of chocolate milk.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was looking at my "Donor" car, it's a 95 t-bird with the 4.6, I notice the ac is all in the cab, with only 2 hose's coming through.

I would like to find a explorer that I could trade my t-bird for that has the 5.0 in it.

I was thinking about the Cobra thing, I think Mr Shelby would have put a small block 427 in it, I watched a tv show about the new cobra's that you can buy that are from Africa, and I think I remember them saying that they only way he would indorse them was if they used the small block 427, but of course I then seen the one on the power block that they built that has the built 5.0.

any how, I love your truck, for me being 6'4", I would have used a supercab, but any how, it's yours and it's wonderful.

Robert

sent with a BR549 and a cold glass of chocolate milk.

They funny thing about the 427 cobras is that the 289 cobras were so much better, they had to beg people to buy the 427 cobras

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
They funny thing about the 427 cobras is that the 289 cobras were so much better, they had to beg people to buy the 427 cobras

and now those same people are wishing they had bought them, watch one go across the auction block for 3.5 million.

Robert

sent with a seagull and a roll-aids tablet.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Buddy!! I'd like to do a 5.0 swap but the only way I would is keep the AC... I haven't seen one with the AC still in place...
I'll be doing it soon hopefully. Got the 98 Explorer Donor, and the 86 Ranger with factory AC. I think the hardest part will be connecting the compressor to the system. I'll either have custom hoses made out of the original hose assembly, or get a conversion block for the compressor and get universal threaded style hoses made. The AC box can be modified to clear the valve cover, might take a little more work but it can be done. I also think the wiring will be pretty easy, doubt that the compressor cares what vehicle it is connected to as long as the clutch is told to engage and disengage. I'll let you know what I actually find out when I get to that stage of the build.

I was thinking about the Cobra thing, I think Mr Shelby would have put a small block 427 in it
If there is physically room for a 4.6L with A/C compressor, it doesn't matter where the rest of the system is located at in the T-bird. All you should need is the compressor and some line made as I mentioned above to mate it to the Ranger's stock system. The Explorer's 5.0L would fit a lot easier than the 4.6L, and would definitely fit with the compressor. If you wanted the Explorer to salvage the rest of the AC system from, don't bother, the explorer's A/C Heater box won't fit without major firewall modifications.

I don't think that Shelby would have gone so far as to install a 427 in a Ranger. Shelby's ford based offerings were more the exception than the rule. If you look at his ties with other car manufacturers you'll find that most of those vehicles didn't get the big engine install that he is so popular Ford in his Ford based vehicles (most of them were FWD too :icon_confused:). In fact, most of those vehicles simply had a hopped up factory engine and some suspension modifications. The only non-ford that really got a big engine up grade just so happened to also be the only Shelby truck, the Dodge Dakota. It was only the 89 model year which came stock with a 3.9L V6, he swapped in a 5.2L V8. From what I can tell the 5.2L was the small Dodge V8 at the time, though it was probably modified by Shelby before being installed. Based on this I think if he had built a Ranger it would be almost exactly what Mac has built except with a slightly beefed up 5.0L under the hood. He wouldn't have gone too wild on the engine mods because if he were building an 80s/90s Shelby Ranger, he would have been building a Mustang as well. We couldn't have a Shelby Ranger kicking a same year Shelby Mustang straight off the lot now could we. Of course I'm speaking hypothetically, hopefully it'll be many-many-many years before any of us can ask him what he would have done. I'm guessing the answer would be along the lines of: "Would have? Hell son, I did it, they just didn't like it. Couldn't have a pick-up that would kick their Mustang's ass."

I wouldn't want to have made the swap either. Granted I'd take a more modern 5.0L, or even a 4.6L, over the 289. Never drove a Cobra be it 289 or 427, but that's just extreme overkill. Enough so that I imagine the car was pretty hard to handle. It's almost like the GT-12, could you imagine trying to race that thing in Le Mans. I think the GT-12 will do fine in normal driving, but that kind of upgrade can kill track performance or just make the car unmanageable.

Last edited:

novaraider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
have been watching your build and it looks awesome. It rekindled the fire for me to start on my ranger again. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals