• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Communications install w/pics...

Snail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Noting the various setups in here, thought I would throw mine in... Antenna is a Maxrad CB base loaded whip. It is a bit more robust than the fiberglass top loaded models (Wilson or Firestik brands) and less apt to get bounced around in the wind. Thought my mounting location for the radio would help some folks as well, I just bolted the mount to the ashtray and used a long allen bolt to secure the ashtray in place through an existing threaded hole in the console. If you remove your ashtray in the Ranger, should be easy enough to see. In my opinion the hood channel mount Maxrad looks much more professional than your typical installations and this type of base loaded antenna is very efficient. It is also very easy to remove if necessary.

Hope this might help someone else out, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Regards,

Garry

P.S. Don't forget to tune your antenna...

Last edited:

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Great photos.

Snail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, have not had any problems with the heat... The radio does have a large heat sink at the rear so I suppose that helps. The setup has worked great for the last 5 years and I get excellent reports. Being at the bottom of the solar cycle right now (we should be on our way up) helps with local communications. The radio comes in handy on long drives, which I don't make so much these days...

6cylboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Do you pick up a lot of injector or ignition noise with your antenna mounted next to the engine compartment? I have my antenna dead center just behind the roof and I get all kinds of engine junk through my antenna. Nice looking set up none the less Magnums are nice.

Snail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't have too many noise issues, I have a filter installed in the power lead and it seems to work pretty well. I have had this setup for about 6 years now and it still works great. If you do have significant noise issues, the fuel pump is often the culprit in Fords, there is actually a TSB on it. Not sure on the newer ones, mine is an 03' and I don't have any fuel pump noise.

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How do you like that Magnum 257?? Thats the radio I have been wanting.

Snail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's a great radio, professional look and feel which is contrary to what you would find at the truck stops. Great audio reports and very durable. I'm not sure if they are still made (I think I saw one recently, the company had upgraded it with a blue backlight and 50 watts PEP versus the 25 watts of my model). I highly recommend it. Great value for the money as the standard "CB" radios you find are often overpriced with items you will likely never need nor ever use, for example, frequency counter? Echo? (the most annoying "feature" I have ever heard), Roger Beep? Chrome with a rebel flag? The radio should set you back around $150-$175. Whatever you do, don't buy an amp. They are a waste of money unless you feel like going sterile or enjoy hearing yourself over the PA system at your kids elementary school. You don't need much power if you are on the road anyways and your antenna is of course the limiting factor along with propagation.

Last edited:

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome thanks for the info man, I have seen the newer models a very few places... 185 to 210 seems to be the going rate. I just need to figure out an antenna setup. I would like to get a tool box an mount it there, as close to the middle of the truck as I can get. I have read guys say that the signal can "favor" the direction that has the most metal in front of it (i.e. if the antenna is mounted in right rear corner of truck, the left front direction would get the best signal, and other directions would be weaker)

Snail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
$200.00 is not too bad, but look around to make sure you are getting the best deal, of course... The antenna is always the most critical aspect of an install and highest is always the best in a vehicle setup. You could mount the antenna to the tool box, but you would want to make sure the tool box is bonded to your chassis electrically. You could use some heavy duty braided wire to do this. Yes, the signal would typically "favor" or be directive along the most electrically conductive portion of the antenna ground, but I would not worry too much as it would not be as significant as you might think... And definitely stay away from the "co-phased" setups (2 antennas). Your signal is going to be more or less omni-directional. I would mount the antenna to the rear of the tool box so that it is as far away from the cab as possible. For the length, here a few things to consider:

1/4 wave whip for 27 mhz = 9.1 feet (optimal)

The efficiency of your antenna is going to be proportional to the length to some degree so I would recommend going as long as possible for best efficiency. I have used the Firestik/Wilson brands of top loaded fiberglass whips but would avoid for the following reasons:

1) They tend to put a significant load on the mount owing to wind resistance so you have to ensure your mount is SECURE.
2) To get maximum efficiency, a relatively long antenna is necessary and thus the weight of the antenna becomes significant and driving through parking garages or heavy brush increases the likelihood of breakage.

If you are going to use one of the fiberglass whips (which are top loaded and thus fairly efficient), I would ensure the tool box is electrically bonded to the frame, use a high quality mount, and use no less than a 4 foot whip. I own no stock in Maxrad nor have any business interest and highly recommend this type of base loaded antenna. It uses a simple whip which can get knocked around, a hood channel mount for this type of antenna is perfect and it does not stick out like a sore thumb (allowing the use of your hood as part of the ground plane), the length is 56 inches lending well to efficiency, and did I mention it looks sharp?

Another option is the "Geotool" (google it). This mount is inserted into your bed stake pocket, I've heard great things about it and allows a unique mounting location.

On another note for anyone else reading this post, if you are just looking for simple and cheap communications, the Cobra 19 DX IV or similar AM only CB radio is great. You can find them for around $35-$50. Just remember to use a high quality antenna and ensure you tune it properly. I've rarely heard Single Sideband while on the road and is thus a feature not normally needed. If you are four wheeling with your buddies, Single Sideband is the way to go as it offers much more "miles per watt" owing to transmission efficiency (the signal is narrower than AM). So I would say a simple AM radio for highway communications, a radio with SSB for off road activities. Just my humble opinion...

Last edited:

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Went searching for Geotool and found this "Our aplolgies. GeoTool has been unable to process orders due to prolonged illness. We will see what the future brings.":annoyed:

Snail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, that sucks... It was a neat product...

mmguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Have any sight issues with the antenna? Looks like you have to use to it being there. Any issue with the shifter hitting the radio?

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yea bummer... I stumbled on a website of this guy that makes antenna mounts tho, he makes a stake pocket one that looks pretty nice but I don't think It'll work:bawling: He says your stake pocket hast to (I'm going to do a very bad job of explaining this) go all the way up to the top of the bed rails. As far as my 97 goes, it has a hole in the bed rail, and then no sides for the stake pocket for a few inches and then it just has a little catch thing for a stake.... I'll see if I can find the picture he had.

Here

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yea bummer... I stumbled on a website of this guy that makes antenna mounts tho, he makes a stake pocket one that looks pretty nice but I don't think It'll work:bawling: He says your stake pocket hast to (I'm going to do a very bad job of explaining this) go all the way up to the top of the bed rails. As far as my 97 goes, it has a hole in the bed rail, and then no sides for the stake pocket for a few inches and then it just has a little catch thing for a stake.... I'll see if I can find the picture he had.

Here
I just mounted my antenna in my stake pocket with no problem at all. I used the driver side rear pocket. I removed the taillight for easy access on the inside. I used a Firestik SS-294a mount.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals