• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is the difference of Skyjacker 6'' and 8''?

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are the axle beam brakets the same and just longer coils, and you use the factory block under the rear leafs. Or are the axle beam brakets longer?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The 8" kit comes with longer brackets, yes. It's also not available as a Class II kit.

I don't recommend the 8" kits at all, the steering is basically impossible to correct properly without building some type of centerlink linkage for it entirely from scratch (it's beyond where you can modify the Superlift Superrunner kits).

If you want more lift than 6", I would use a bodylift. Another option might be SAS, the steering is easier to deal with on a SAS at those heights.
Being that high up is going to also raise your CoG to a point of being impractical for some types of wheeling (unless you swap full-width axles under it).

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 8" kit comes with longer brackets, yes. It's also not available as a Class II kit.

I don't recommend the 8" kits at all, the steering is basically impossible to correct properly without building some type of centerlink linkage for it entirely from scratch (it's beyond where you can modify the Superlift Superrunner kits).

If you want more lift than 6", I would use a bodylift. Another option might be SAS, the steering is easier to deal with on a SAS at those heights.
Being that high up is going to also raise your CoG to a point of being impractical for some types of wheeling (unless you swap full-width axles under it).
Thanks. I didn't know the 8'' did not come in a class II. Ya, I don't know if I need to go higher. I was wheelin the other day and I notice it feels a lot more tipsy with the 6'' on it. I had a tire off the ground, scary. :eek: I want 35's on it, but I don't like the look of a truck when there is no space between the wheel well and tire. I like to see the lift. If I trim the fenders, the stock fender flares won't fit back on, right?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, but you could put on aftermarket flares.

The Bushwacker cutout flares look good, although there kindof brittle (if you bump a tree or hillside/rock or anything while offroad, they basically break apart and fall off).

I have Pacer "Flexy Flares" on my BII. Not quite as much for the eye, but being made of rubber, it takes a lot more to tear them off.

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Junkie, I google "flexy flares" and did not see any thing. I did see Bushwacker ones though. And I think the look cool. Check these out. Also how do they work? Do you just trim your fenders than put the new fender flares on, drill holes, screw them in, and then cut off excess?

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/Bushwakerfenderflare5.asp

dmc919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the 8" comes with rear 6" springs and 2" blocks, also the radius arm drop brackets are 6" brackets. every thing else is 8" stuff. i think the biggest problem with the 8" skyjacker not steering very good is the radius arm brackets, they throw your caster way out of wack

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
the 8" comes with rear 6" springs and 2" blocks, also the radius arm drop brackets are 6" brackets. every thing else is 8" stuff. i think the biggest problem with the 8" skyjacker not steering very good is the radius arm brackets, they throw your caster way out of wack
That certainly doesn't help, but the bigger issue is the steering linkage angle. The drop pitman arm (which is already the bigger of the 2 arms SJ makes) only drops down about 4" or so over what the stock one is, so that leaves the steering linkage jacked up at an angle, which causes severe toe in/out changes of the front wheels as the suspension cycles up & down.
An even bigger drop arm wouldn't be safe to have on it due to the leverage it puts on the steering box.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals