• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

slave cylinders? 2.9 vs 3.0

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Does anybody know if there is a difference in the distance the slave pushes the T/O bearing on a 2.9 compared to a 3.0? Does the 2.9 slave push further?

Last edited:

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pimtool, Go to the site www.clutchcityonline.com/ford which has application charts for each Ranger clutch component by part number for each year and engine size. Makes it easy to compare. cocoasranger:icon_idea:

Last edited:

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, good info, but didnt quite have what I need.

Let me try it this way. Does anybody know the thickness of the flywheels on,

1. 96 ranger 3.0, mazda m5od?
2. 90 ranger 2.9, mazda m5od?

Here is my problem. I replace a a4ld in a 90 ranger w/ 2.9 with an m5od from a 90 ranger w/ 2.9. I used the pedals and master cylinder from a 96 ranger w/ 3.0. I used the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate and slave cylinder from the doner 90. I had everything working great, until 2 days later. It got real hard to get into gear. (had to shut off vehicle to shift) OK, I replaced master and slave w/ new from 96 ranger / 3.0. I needed the master for the 96 because the way it mounts to the pedals, so I whent with the 96 slave also. I have bled and bled, but its just not right. It will go into gear but not easy and smooth. I can hear the disc dragging on the flywheel when I turn the driveshaft by hand with vehicle in the air and in gear w/ clutch pedal depressed. I also have an adjustable length rod on the master cylinder and have tried different lengths. The doner truck moved fine before pulling parts.

With all that said, I'm starting to think the flywheels are different thicknesses and/or the slave cylinders have different throw distances. They have diferent part #s for the 3.0 and the 2.9. Thanks for any and all help.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The slave cylinders are the same by MODEL year, not the engine size.

Infact with some year ranges the F-Series trucks used the same slave cylinders.

Ranger based ehicles used one slave type (unique to ranger and bronco2)
from 1985 to 1987 this is usually reered to as the "hairpin clip" slave cylinder.

From 1988-1992 RBV's used the Aluminum dry-break fitting slave cylinder,
with the black coupler.

from 1993-current production (AFAIK) Ford used the "Plastic" slave (which uses the gold connector)
This same slave was used 1992 (or 93)-up in F-series trucks (except 460 and diesel used the same slave)

Basically ford designed the bellhousings in the M5OD-R1 transmission cases in such a was so as to allow ONE slave cylinder to fit EVERYTHING (including the 5sp Thunderbird supercoupes:)

Does that answer your question?

AD

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
AllanD,

On a related note, I just finished my A4LD to M5OD R-1 swap using the 4.0L flywheel and 93-94 "gold" slave cylinder and master. After bleeding the system I have only about 3/8" linear travel at the t/o bearing. Is this enough, or should I have more?
The clutch pedal sits slightly below the brake pedal at rest, and there is about 1" of free play in the clutch pedal before resistance is felt when pushing it in. I could not get the system to bleed with the used master, so bought a new 93 master and it bled out right away, but there is still not enough travel to allow me to shift, even sitting still. Any ideas?

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I bleed the master cylinder while holding it in my hands with the reservoir and clutch line attached (no slave cylinder)

I have a friend hold the reservoir up and I orient the master "nose up" and press in the pushrod by hand (air is compressible, fluid is not) I keep moving the clutch line and the master cylinder around to work all the air out of the line and cylinder and up into the reservoir
When you can no longer push the pushrod in by hand the job is done, (it feels like you are trying to compress a steel bar) you can then install the master into the firewall (bend the plastic inner fender out of the way with a small ratchet strap)

Though this is easier to do if instead of using the pushrod to bleed a NEW master cylinder you use instead a screwdriver as a pushrod and only install the pushrod AFTER you've mounted the master to the firewall:)

the '93-94 and '95-current master cylinders CANNOT (absolutely cannot) be bled
when mounted to the firewall (I may be wrong, but I've never accomplished it)

The '85-92 master cylinder bleeds out rather nicely when bolted into place, but
though the '93-up clutch line will attach to it allowing the use of the '93-up slave cylinder you probably wouldn't like the result....

The early master with the late slave results in a clutch that (being generous)
has a total range of function that occours in pedal motion of somewhat less than 1"
That is the setup I have in my personal ('87 supercab 4.0 5sp 4.0 gears)
and I don't even have to take my heel off the floor to completely release the clutch

I'm still not sure I like it, but I have an already bled 1993-94 master cylinder, reservoir and line that I can install in about 15min once I make up my mind.

I will probably make up my mind to swap it in the first time I seriously think
about what it'll be like trying to drive a 4.0 with 4.10's in the snow with
a really twitchy clutch.... Hmmm... mabey thisafternoon....

AllanD

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
AllanD,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. Sorry for making you type the same thing so many times.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The Signature refers to the new host and the loss of some of the FAQ/sticky posts.

And frankly I really don't mind typing it again, because at worst it's a total of a couple of hours worth of work because I type fairly quickly....

AD

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sooo...AllanD, which year master/slave setup do you reccommend for my M5R1 into my 87 2.9 Ranger? I'm thinkin the 1991 setup. :D

http://www.clutchcityonline.com works and then goto Ford section of your choice, thanks for the great link. :)

Last edited:

amw_drizz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the slave in my f350 has that plastic slave cylinder that clips on to the tranny and i hate that damn thing. took 3 days of power shifting most of the time and trying to use the clutch before it was out the full inch, and as AllanD said it is still on only an inch of clutch pedal to release into gear. works nice but still getting used to it. (btw that f350 did have a 460 in from the factory kinda died thus is why it has a 351m)

weird bit of knowladge, a chevy 9" clutch plate will work in a ford 9" clutch plate application. how do i know, is that i got a chevy clutch in my truck :p and i hate cheveys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals