• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd offroad-whats next?

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys.as most of you now i have a 2wd that im buiding for offroad.it has a 3 inch body lift and 30 inch tires.so whats next.the offroading i am going to be doing is mud and decently deep puddles, and like woop section and a tiny bit of jmping with very little air.so what should i do besides a locker,shouild i put sandbags in the back for more traction.please .i really need some help here.]
thanks
ryan

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Traction Bars.

James duff has them.

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
great.so is that all is there anyhting else i shoud do.shouldi throw sandbags in the backor isthat not good?
thanks
ryan

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
If you're going in anything sticky, a winch is very helpful. At least, from my experiences. I just got Swampers and a locker, and go for it, let God sort it out. :derisive:

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
If you're going in anything sticky, a winch is very helpful. At least, from my experiences. I just got Swampers and a locker, and go for it, let God sort it out. :derisive:
Yep, definitely a winch. It's a great insurance policy. Your sandbags in the back idea could be helpful but be careful. Too much weight and you will cause more problems than solutions. What kind of tires do you have? All Terrains are not your friend when it comes to mud. Go with something like Mud Terrains, TSLs or even Boggers. Aside from that it'll just be about picking the right line, knowing when to lay into the throttle and knowing your limits, then going to just a little bit past them, in which case the winch will come in handy there.

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
KELLY88's right, you need to learn what your truck can and cannot do. As your experience grows, you'll get better at tackling certain things. If you're doing any mud or water, momentum is your best friend.

When it comes to off-roading, I'm not sure about the weight-in-the-back thing. If it's not your DD, I would get some aggressive tires, preferably Swampers, as I have had some good luck with them. And if you're going through mud, you need to spin those bad boys to clean the muck out everytime they go around, or else you'll end up with drag slicks.

I also sometimes use the front tires to "walk" out of a hole if I'm stuck, by turning the steering wheel quickly lock to lock, sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I could use this thread too, I've got a 2wd offroad and Im getting a winch very very soon, and the most appropriate tires for my area are Boggers, this place is heavy, gooey, sticky, muck...no such thing as mud, ... I was thinking about welding my Diff too..
thanks

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok kool.so is there anything else i can do.is it possible for me to hang with the 4 wheel drives?thansk for all the help guys

Leprechaun86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of Fury
Transmission
Manual
So even if you weld the rear or do a locker you should still do the traction bars, just curious as well what are the downsides to a welded diff in a daily driver?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The traction bars help keep the axle planted on the ground and reduce axle wrap.

A welded diff will be hell on tires and will chirp and be rough around corners. A good lunch box locker like a Lock-Rite will be tons better and be totally streetable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals