• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fair price to replace entire A/C system

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've decided to get my A/C system fixed on my 89 Ranger since I plan on keeping the truck awhile. So last week I took it to several shops for a estimate. I also wanted to get it converted over to R134a while I was at it.

The First thing I was told was that it Supposedly has Dealer installed A/C. I was told this because it has a SD709 compressor on it and the hoses are connected up like radiator hoses with the clamps. (See my other post in this section).

This was real suprising to me because I have the Factory evaporator / heater box and there is no under dash unit in my truck. Other then the non-standard compressor and hoses it sure looks like factory. Also I have a high option truck with things like power locks / windows / Tilt wheel, etc. Who orders all that crap on a Truck But doesnt get Factory A/C. Makes No Sense.

Anyway the first 2 shops I took it to wanted to charge me 90 bucks to make up hoses and R134 fittings just to Test the system out to see what it needs. The 3rd shop I took it to Actually tested the system out for 20 bucks and said Everything seems to be working and they could only find a small leak in one of the hose connections. Since I havent had working A/C in Seven Years this was a Nice Surprise to me.

They wanted 300 bucks to replace the leaking fittings, Replace the accumulator, Convert it to 134A, and evac and recharge the system. I was going to go this route But since my A/c hasnt worked in Sooo long that I just feel a month after I spend that 300 the compressor will probably go out or the evaporator or condenser will development a leak and I will be stuck again with no A/C and out that 300 bucks. They offered no warrenty on this job.

I finally decided the best thing to do was to do it myself and just replace the Entire System. This can be done for about 600-700 in parts.

I was out sourcing parts the other day and stopped in this custom A/C place to see how much custom A/C hoses would cost me. Seems they also do A/C work on old classic cars and retrofit non A/C cars with A/C.

Anyway the guy has offered to replace my Entire A/C system for 1100.00 plus tax. This includes All Parts in the system replaced with new parts and a Condensor designed to use 134A. There is a difference I'm being told between R12 condensors and 134a Condensors and it Will Affect how cool the A/C runs. I would also be getting a one year warranty on this job.

I'm very tempted by his offer as it seemes to be very fair. My choices are as follows.

1 - Spend 6 to 7 hundred in parts, spend hours and hours and possibly days replacing everything and then still having to spend another hundred or so to get the system evaced and recharged. Going this route I would have all new parts but no warranty since I did all the work myself.

2 - Bite the bullet and spend 1100 with this guy and get all new parts Plus a condensor designed for 134a from the start and a one year warranty on parts and labor.

I'm really leaning towards option 2 because while it would cost me 4-5 hundred more I wont have to do Any larbor myself, have the satisfaction of knowing a professional A/C shop did the job and I would get the one year warranty on parts and labor.

What do you guys think. What would you do. And is 1100 a fair offer for the work he wants to do. Your opnion please. Thanks...

LV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i think its fair. To do a full conversion, and have a one year warranty. Ive seen 1100 dollars worth of work be done just in replacing one or two parts, testing, evacing and recharging. Some will disagree im sure, but id go for it. Piece of mind can not be given a price tag, FWM.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Based on your comments, I'm inclined to agree that a full conversion, with all new parts, done professionally and with a warranty, is an attractive option for you. I think that I would go that route, if I were in your shoes. Two thoughts for you, though. The new replacement parts may be aftermarket, perhaps "same as OEM", but not neccessarily genuine Ford parts. Nothing really wrong with that, just be aware of the possibility. Second, ask them to save all of the old parts for you. They shouldn't have a problem with this (red flag if they do!), and the old parts (except the drier) will be worth something to somebody. Even selling them cheap "as is" could defray your expense some, and you're better assured that the old parts were actually replaced. Good luck, and I hope that all goes well.

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well I think maybe I gave the wrong impression. I'm pretty good at turning wrenches. Not the fastest but I do compentent work and have wrenched for years. I can Do the job no problem, the question is do I really want to. The warranty is just a addon Not a must have. My options.

1 - Since Ive been told the system seems to be working with minor leaks I could just go the real cheap route and throw some r124 into the system and see what happens. I doubt that would blow very cold for very long. I also have a hunch the evaporator has a leak even if the 3rd shop didnt find it.

2 - Replace accumulator and orifice and evac and recharge. Doubt it world be much better then option one and if I took it someplace for the evac and recharge it would still cost 100 or close.

3 - let the 3rd shop do the 300 dollar repair job. Probably better then one and two but not much.

Those three options are fine if I want to go cheap but I'm concerned about the age of the system and something else going out right after because now I'm actually using the system. Also remember the A/C hoses, there connected with radiator clamps, Both compressor And condensor side. My understanding is r134 is under a lot more pressure then r12 so there is a safety concern and really should be replaced. Besides, I'm in Florida, It's Hot and I'm sick of no A/C and dont want just OK A/C.

Which brings me to the 4th option of just replacing everything for about 6-7 bills. That would be ok too but I'm finding most stuff is special order even from Napa so I will be sourcing from all over, then I got to get the hoses custom made and to do it Right I would still have to take it to a shop for the evac and recharge.

The only part of the job that concerns me is the evaportor but I'm sure I can do that to. That and just The Hassle of rounding everything up, doing the work, having it recharged and then hoping it blows as cold as I want it to.

This brings up another point I'm sure a lot of people dont know. The 3rd shop told me I had a bad fan clutch and they wanted to replace it. Funny cause my truck Never gets hot But the guy was insistent about it. Said he gets calls all the time from people having r134 in their r12 systems and that at a stoplight it will stop blowing cold untill there moving again. Stated it had to do with a Weak fan clutch most of the time.

He also brought up this idea that R134 doesnt compress as well in a older r12condensor as it does in a r134 specific condensor and that was another reason r12 converted cars sometimes dont blow so cool. Both of these Things I didnt know and hadnt really thought about.

When I got to the custom A/C shop to check on hose prices and told the guy what I wanted he too brought all these points up without my saying a word about it. Especially the part about the condensor. It made sense to me and that's when he was like You Know, I will replace that whole system, everything and include a r134 specific condensor and run the hoses anyway you want them for 1100 plus tax. he is even going to swap out the fan clutch with a motorcraft Supercooling fan clutch for that price. I was like Really, He was like Yep, just did a 68 mustang and when the guy pulled out of here it was 41% at the vents. I was like Maaaan. That's what I'm talking.

So I can spend somewhere between 600 to 700 or possibly 800 by doing it all myself, using quality parts, and having it professionally charged. I have the satisfaction of doing it myself But I also have to deal with the work and more importantly the hassle of doing the job.

Or I can spend 4 to 5 hundred more and just drop the truck off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon with a New r134 system thats as good as any new cars is. It's very tempting to me. Sometimes its just better to have someone else do it you know.

As to not using factory parts I'm not to concerned about that. the compressor isnt factory style, I was pissed at first when I found out but now I'm glad I think. I dont think the SD compressor has the black death syndrom the factory compressors do and hey it's been working for 7 years and I didnt know it. It's Got to be a good compressor. The condensor will have to be changed out regardless. I do agree about getting all the parts back though.

LV

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I hope that I didn't give an impression that I thought you couldn't do the work. On the contrary, in the post it sounds like you are able and willing to do the wrench-twisting on this one.

I do all of my stuff myself, and believe me, the older you get the more attractive it is to farm out the wrenching. $1100 ain't that bad, to have new, good AC for years down the road, AND to not have to dick with it!

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I do all of my stuff myself, and believe me, the older you get the more attractive it is to farm out the wrenching. $1100 ain't that bad, to have new, good AC for years down the road, AND to not have to dick with it!
Exactamundo bro.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals