• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ford Explorer Trans/Clutch Issues

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I bought this 1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 for $500 today and was gonna use it as a donor for my B2 but when I got it I saw how great of shape it was in and I think I am going to keep it and wheel it along with the B2. Well the only issue it has is it will you are driving it or sitting still it will randomly make a grinding noise and the engine will rev up. While it is reved up if you try to put it into gear it will make a grinding noise like you are grinding the gears. If you cut the truck off put it into gear and crank it up it will drive fine. Then it will drive fine for a little while and it will act up again. Some times when it does this you can firmly pull the shifter and it will drop into the gear. Any idea what it could be? I will probably replace the clutch but I was curious if there is some other things I could check first like the slave cylinder etc. Thanks for the help!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Transmission syncronizers can cause the transmission to be hard to engage into gear, so can a failing slave cylinder, are you losing any fluid in the reservoir? The whining or grinding noise you are hearing is probably the throwout bearing get that thing replaced before it grenades itself found this out the hard way on a 99 dodge ram which cost me a clutch in the process of the throwout bearing shattering.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No I am not losing any fluid. When it starts grinding it sounds like there are rocks in the clutch/trans. I figure I'll just replace everything to be on the safe side (clutch, slave and master cylinder, etc). It's not tagged or insured so for the next few months it will be sitting so it's nothing that is has to be fixed today. Thanks for the help.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I'd at least go out and start it once a week and let it run. Could be some clutch parts lose in there you'll find out for sure once you tear into it.

Good find on the explorer though,

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it was a great find. I can't wait to get into it and get it road worthy! I was excited about my B2 but I am ecstatic about the expo!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals