• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ford Ranger Diesel

Tails1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently bought a 1986 Ford Ranger Diesel, it is the 2.3l Mitsubishi and it runs well however there is a hose from the valve cover to the intake breather box and small amounts of oil come out of this and soak the bottom half of the air filter. Anyone with a similar issue and know why?

Also anyone know where I can find a decent service manual for it? This is the 4 wheel drive version with 5 speed manual Transmission.

I'll post pics later too.

Thanks,

Update:

Here are some pics regarding the air cleaner/oil issue.

Last edited:

bblatch69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Must be some kind of vapor release from the valve cover. Is there a pcv valve behind that hose by the valve cover?

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine did the same thing once wear started setting into the engine.i ended up making a catch can for the vent line.

chilton's manual #8159 has some decent info,though they all seem a bit sketchy.

Mini-Stroke...

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbodiesel
Transmission
Manual
Mine did the same thing, I just vented it to atmosphere

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine did the same thing, I just vented it to atmosphere
i tried that for a bit...it tends to make a mess of wherever the end of the hose goes.plus,i found it to be a bit smelly.

shovelmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Vent to atmosphere

As mentioned, it won't hurt a thing to vent it to the atmosphere. You might want the aforementioned catch can, you can rig up your own or Summit Racing has them.

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the hose is for the engine vent system.
you could re-route to the intake to by-pass the air filter box.
as the engine wears, you will have more blow-by from this hose.

when you replace the timing belt be sure to use lock tight on the cam bolt and torque to specs. if the bolt comes loose. the cam will loose timing, and a valve will kiss a piston. pushing the valve up, breaking cam bearing caps. requiring a new head. last i checked a replacement head was $850. plus shipping. does not include rockers/valves, ect.

Tails1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The truck sat in a garage since 98 and now I have it on the road and have run several tanks of diesel through it (with additive to clean injectors) it is running much better. There is alot of black smoke when accelerating and it still seems a bit sluggish however and the Service manual I got online for it states the injector pump is factory set and shouldn't be adjusted however can it be and is it easy?

I changed all the belts and the timing belt was changed by previous owner (it is new I checked). Also going to change hoses especially some of the small ones that go to the injector pump as they don't look healthy.

overall the truck works well and seems reliable but I want to change the shifter as it is sloppy and sometimes hard to choose the right gear. Hopefully I can find another one in a scrap yard.

mine did the same thing once wear started setting into the engine.i ended up making a catch can for the vent line.

chilton's manual #8159 has some decent info,though they all seem a bit sketchy.
Any suggestions on how I could make one? Also any suggestions on a type of oil or additive that could help?

Any other tips appreciated as well. :D

66CC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Use a good diesel oil (rotella (i use), dello, etc) if anything is gummed up in there diesel oil will clean it out.
I'd route that hose to the cover, close to the inlet to the turbo. It wont hurt a thing, my 7.3PSD breather is routed to the inlet between the filter and the turbo.
Diesels don't mind the added oil, afterall they run on it anyway. I don't know why they would route it the way they did anyway. BTW that is one cute lil turbo.

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah you deff got some excessive blow by gasses. Venting to the atmosphere isnt a good idea, as you are poluting the air. Its unburned hydrocarbons, fuel and other gases that seap past the piston rings during combustion, mixes with the oil. Also there is some very small particles of oil in that "dirty" air as well. Hense why your filter gets extremely dirty. Excessive blowby is caused by pcv system not functioning properly or worn piston rings causing too much blow by gasses for the pcv system to handle.

I dont know diesels all that well but there should be a PCV valve on that truck shouldnt their?

How does it idle? Is it rough?

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Diesels don't have pcv, most do passively vent to the atmosphere. as for what ford did in 86, i have no idea.

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah emissons werent too much of a concern in the 80s lol. Someone mentioned a catch can. This is also a great Idea, just dont forget to empty the can every so often.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
A lot of modern diesels still vent to the atmosphere. It's not as bad as the administration would like you to believe.

Twisted_Steel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 HO
Transmission
Automatic
How much did you give for that truck?.. More pics?
BTW that is one cute lil turbo. <-- I just stole that! :D

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals