Wix Oil Filters Leaking


Featured Build Threads

01WHTRNGR

Forum Member

Ham Radio Operator
Joined
Mar 31, 2023
Messages
175
Points
101
City
South Dakota
Vehicle Year
2001
Engine
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Has anybody been having trouble with Wix oil filters leaking after ~2000 miles? My last 2 have been leaking. They’re on a 1992 Buick Roadmaster, so the 350 TBI sbc. I have them hand tight plus 1/4 turn. Not double gasketed, clean mating surface
 

Attachments

  • Wix Oil Filters Leaking
    IMG_6725.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 5
How can it be leaking? Is the gasket or metal case bad? You've removed the filter to inspect it and replaced it, right? I wouldn't keep a questionable filter on the vehicle, unless I wasn't using it. I haven't bought Wix for a long time. Aren't they Chinese made now like everything else? Where did you buy it from? A lot of parts on Amazon are fakes.
 
Making sure I'm on the same page - my rule of thumb is gasket contact + ~3/4-1 turn... How does that compare to hand tight + 1/4 turn? Sounds similar. I'm also curious where it's leaking from.

I just had my first filter in 40 years find a way to back its way off enough to start leaking around the gasket. No Wheaties that day I guess
 
I heard a coworker the other day talking about having changed his oil with an O'Reilly's MasterPro (supposedly made by Wix) branded filter and having it leak at the gasket. When he showed me the filter afterwards, the gasket was visible wavy, but not so much that it should've been a problem if it was tight. I couldn't help but wonder if he didn't have the gasket from the old filter still on the block. I've done it. Made a hell of a mess.

I just used a different one my truck and no problems so far.
 
While it makes for a fun removal, I usually tighten filters far more than most people do. I like to use a cap style filter "wrench" that fits tightly to the flutes of the filter. I'd rather have to fight the old filter off then have one loosen and fall off. I tend to only use factory OEM filters as well.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top