Turn signals inop, abs light on, related to the key?


Featured Build Threads

AOMills

10+ Year Member

Joined
Jan 14, 2014
Messages
47
Points
1,601
City
St. George, UT
Vehicle Year
1990
Transmission
Manual
This has been a quirk that I've grown accustomed to over the years but has gotten worse and is now a real annoyance. It's a multi-step routine...

1. Start & drive my 1990 Bronco II
2. Drives fine
3. Without provocation, Rear ABS light illuminates/turn signals become inoperative/battery stops charging
4. *The fix* Roll ignition key back just a few degrees then roll forward again a few degrees. ABS light brightens for a second, then turns off. Turn signals function, battery charges as normal.

Simple as that. I used to have to do this once every couple trips and it didn't bother me. Now it does it a few times each trip and is becoming a hazard. I thought a new ignition cylinder would fix it but it hasn't. I really don't know where to start with this one. Anyone dealt with this before?
:dunno:
 
Sounds like the ignition switch itself is bad. the cylinder is only a mechanical interface for the switch. the switch itself is inside the column on the bottom (I think...maybe someone else can confirm) and the cylinder activates it through a linkage.

Sooo.... you get to take the column apart :(

AJ
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top