Perfect coolant change job


Featured Build Threads

I'm never the original owner of any of my vehicles. You never know what they used in the cooling system. Stop leak, raw eggs, well water, etc. I would use a HOAT Antifreeze which is yellow. It's pretty much just like the traditional green stuff but with organic acids better for aluminum and plastic.
 
For emptying the overflow tank I use the type of siphon pump used to fill kerosene heaters. These are usually dirt cheap, $2 or so each.
I find it simpler to just slip the overflow hose off at the rad-cap end, then slide it out from under that plastic flap that runs across the top of the radiator, then you can drop that end down to where it's hanging near the radiator petcock... which is already draining into your catch-pan. Reservoir will drain quickly and completely this way, no slurping or suctioning req'd.

Sadly, that overflow hose 'tween the rad-cap and reservoir is so thin-walled that it's HARD TO FIND, i.e. thicker-walled versions won't fit neatly under the aforementioned plastic flap... IIRC I had to venture into a very obscure corner of duh interwebz to find one.
 
Last edited:
As to the color, best thing is to use what your owners manual recommends, if you have the manual. Roerts recommendation sounds good.

For flushing, I drain the system. Then use a garden hose to flush it real good with the engine running. Then, I drain it good (engine off), refill with new coolant mix and purge air bubbles.

I use this.
View attachment 148478
When you say you purge the air bubbles, what's the procedure?
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top