My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build


Featured Build Threads

Thatbrokeranger

Forum Member

Joined
Nov 6, 2024
Messages
183
Points
101
City
New york
Vehicle Year
1990
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
32 11.50 15
My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build

I had originally bought it for my wife after her 85s trans let her down. But she didn’t like how it drove and hated how it looked… 😂 I couldn’t blame her it was awful to look at.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_6195.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 9
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 7
I had started with the basic upgrades as it was already a 4.0 v6 with lower miles. Did a 130a alternator and 3g swap right off the start I tossed the ugly American racing wheels for some Alcoas and better winter tires…. This proved to be both a good and bad move as it started eating bearings bad. I replaced the spindles and that helped for a while but it became a regular occurrence until I swapped setups
 
I’ve been around fords all my life…. I knew rangers weren’t any better so I fitted a aftermarket sensor for better temp read outs and a vacuum gauge to make leaks easy to spot early on which …. Shocker a smoke test showed it had many small leaks to a full intake gasket kit was done. Leaving the shop that night I was able to actually raise 70mph…. Until a big Doe had other plans…. A semi was coming head on with high beams / LEDS and I SAW THE LIGHT… then a deer head went flying everything got dark and I popped it in neutral shut it off and coated down the road to the fast station in total darkness… I had hit her so hard it blew the bulbs out of ever single socket but luckily no radiator damage
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 8
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2036.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 6
After this with my wife’s permission we decided to get her into a jeep Tj for now and her old 85 became a doner truck
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2038.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2039.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 4
little did I l know what this would kickstart…. I’ve had tons of obs fords over the years but none that I enjoyed like I do this little shitbox… I drilled and swapped the rad support changed the radiator, upgraded everything I could and kept fixing anything could
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2041.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 8
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2040.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 5
I sold the Alcoas for 400$ and picked up decent 32x11.50 bfgs and 15x10 American racing wheels and it changed the whole feel of the truck! Despite the tach confirming the 4.10s…. And door jamb saying I had 4.10s I’d later find I infact had 3.54s 🤮🤮🤮
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2043.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 7
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2042.jpeg
    543.8 KB · Views: 6
I’d decided I needed to do something about all the clear coat and mix matched paint… so the body work and sanding begin! I’d also picked up a 50$ short bed off a friend of mine and that saved me hours of body work.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2049.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 7
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2050.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2048.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2045.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2047.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2041.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 3
Still chasing primer and more body work I stumbled on N.O.S bushwhacker flares for 225$ once again saving hours in body work 😂
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2051.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2052.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 5
I had a color picked out from day one but the wife hated it… she learned to trust my judgement though after rolling it out of the shop for the first time rustoleum “ gloss sand “ single stage I actually prefer single stage paints these days for home builds lol I greatly dislike two and 3 stage paints these days t jobs.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2053.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 7
I had to track down the tailgate clear up in Niagara New York but it was worth the drive. Sadly I didn’t get to enjoy it for long
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2063.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2062.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 6
The 4.0 wouldn’t stop overheating on my commute… replaced cooling system. Then ran a test and sure enough the head gaskets failed… I’d pulled the heads thinking I’d just replace gaskets and found several cracks. So I began looking for another 4.0
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 6
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2065.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2066.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 5
my old man offered up his 302. Always ran great but pulled it after dealing with starter and trans issues…. I later found the crank had over an inch of in/out play in it. Bearings were smoked. Crank smoked. Cylinders??? You guessed it. Needed a full rebuild so that got sold to a friend cheap who did just that for his truck since it had a cam kit and rebuilt heads. I then bought a doner truck to replace the 4.0
 
Doner truck ended up being a 1992 but I just needed the 4.0 so I scrapped and parted the rest… worst shape ranger I’d ever had in my shop
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2067.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2069.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2068.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 5
Went through the 4.0 and everything was looking good. No leaks and no odd finds. Considered it a good runner! Finished running my wiring and I’ll admit… not clean work
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2070.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 7
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 6
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 6
The plastic intake failed the smoke test and the fiber truck didn’t have one..: so we fab! I retained the pcv Valve and just built what I could from 3” steel. Even added a nice bracket
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2083.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 7
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2073.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 6
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2074.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2075.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2077.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 7
  • My 1990 supercab ranger 4x4 build
    IMG_2078.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 7

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top