My 1990 ranger “ first build”


Featured Build Threads

It was finally back together again!!! Ran pretty good but I added a fresh heater, flushed the system and added a coolant filter for extra precautions..: now I just needed to build a new exhaust
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2080.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2084.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 2
I replaced the clutch line, space and full setup, built a new exhaust setup. 3” single into a vibrant resonator into a spintech protest 6000 dual 2.5” out to 3.5” tips and LOVED IT no rasp and had a unique tone
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_1304.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_1303.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2076.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 2
Finally made brackets to run the 85 front bumper. And added small 3” fog lights. I’d always wanted to run a custom bumper but fell in love with the stock front as it was.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2056.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2055.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2054.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 2
Absolutely a necessary upgrade considering I was working over nights an hour away and driving home between 2am and 7am depending on my shift hours … don’t miss that job one bit
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2089.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 4
Sadly the joy was short lived…. The stock drum 8.8 with god knows how many miles gave up the ghost when something off the road manages to cracked the diff cover on my way into work and I had no idea anything was wrong so I managed to drive 70mph with who knows how much fluid home that night! I was coming down the road by my house and noticed what looked like a cloud behind me in the darkness illuminated by my brake lights… then pulling in the driveway the diff cover was melted… this is when I’d learn the diff cover was plastic. I never knew looked lol I didn’t do anything before but a drain and fill and it didn’t look plastic then 😂
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 4
Went to the local yard who were still decent at the time and laid in the Mud and snow cutting out a 4.10 8.8 from an 01 explorer. Overhauled what I could and back in it went…. Sat way to tall in the rear though but this is why I mentioned early on the tach and door said it was a 4.10 truck! Infact wasn’t or atleast not anymore😂 I know your asking why didn’t he check the diff??? I did the rear cover tag said 4.10s I would have checked the rear diff but in longer spun and was so heat stained and chewed up I couldn’t get much in for to begin with. The first test drive I’d felt like I had 300hp under the hood it was incred 😂😂😂
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2090.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2091.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2092.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2093.jpeg
    724.2 KB · Views: 3
With 4.10s in it now I figured maybe I’d like 33s…. I INFACT DID NOT LIKE 33s 😂😂😂 it was drivable but man these falkens were HEAVY and I felt it.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2096.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2094.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 2
The 33s went on to the wife’s jeep we sold her 35s and bought some new wheels and hit up my buddy DR.Z. For his “rock ring designs” ended up going back to 32x11.50s and all was right with the world for a while… a little while…
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    388 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2098.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2099.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2100.jpeg
    675 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2101.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 1
Headed out to the junkyard on the hottest day of the year… lucky me but the yard 2hours out had just got in a beautiful bronco ii so I went to pull the grill and dash out since I had planned to swap the 90 dash out for the 88 dash and gauges… on my way back I noticed some smoke on start up leaving the gas station. I didn’t think much of it but was worried. Then I’d stop again and that’s when this happened… smoked horribly and lost 2cylinders. I limped it home.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2102.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2103.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 5
I’d cleaned it up, checked plugs. Did a leak down test. I couldn’t find the smoking gun to what the smoke was and it was super inconsistent…. Then it started to fowl plugs ever 6-700 miles with straight oil. But still smoke was minimal and coolant temps were good. Around end of the month it had lifted rattle and a faint bottom end knock. Mind you it’s still my daily at this point so I tossed Lucas in it to help anyways it could…. It was manageable but after the next oil change it was knocking. So it got the thickest oil on the shelf 75 or 90wt I forget. And it was honestly pretty good after that I made it all summer on that 4.0 until the oil pressure switch on my night drive home decided nahhh boy and that was it…
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2105.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2104.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 3
In comes 4.0 #3 just needed something I could swap in a weekend and get back to work. This was a solid little motor. Honestly
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1
Slammed it back in cleaned it up because that’s just who I am and sent it!
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2108.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2
Not much had changed after that besides dialing in ride height and changer to amber cab lights and changing headlights back to sealed beams for winter… “LEDs don’t like cold” surprisingly the fogs actually burned off ice and snow so that was 25$ well spent overall I was really pleased
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_7332.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2109.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 1
Then winter hit and temps got BAD coldest we had seen in years and right then somehow I’d lost heat completely. I threw in the towel and bought cheap Volvo 740 to keep warm and make my commute. As I had my hands full doing a full brake line overhaul on the wife’s jeep and a new 4.0HO swap
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 2
“He’s just being dramatic “ nahhh we got hammered!!! I was honestly glad I didn’t drive the ranger in snow anymore since it was terrrible! 4.10s and lsd it just blew the tires off with the m50d 😂 and front diff was sadly still 3.54 at this point since everytime I got around to get the gears and such… the motor would fail on me
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 3

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top