Advise on suspension upgrade!!


Featured Build Threads

03rangerNM

Forum Member

Joined
Dec 26, 2024
Messages
21
Points
101
City
New Mexico
State - Country
NM - USA
Vehicle Year
2003
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Drive
4WD
Engine
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
26575/16
My credo
FIDL
Hello!! I have a 2003 ranger xlt. It currently has stock suspension and I am trying to research and decide on what upgrade in suspension I want to do. This is a trail truck I use for hunting in the western mountains. I’d like to eventually have 33” tires on the truck. I would rather not lift the truck more than 3”. I really like the idea of coil overs since so much of the drive time for this truck is back country forest roads and having a suspension set up I can drive quickly and comfortably over those roads would be awesome. I’d also like to eventually add off road steel bumpers and a winch on the front bumper. I appreciate any suggestions/personal experiences! I’m still new to understanding the proper set ups I would need to find to make the truck as capable in the woods as I’d like!
 
Keep an eye on what @PetroleumJunkie412 is doing with his coil over setup, would probably be worthwhile.

As for your goals I would just go with a body lift to gain the tire clearance, lifting that suspension more than just cranking the torsion bars (which gives room for up to I think 32" tires, my Explorer rubs with 31's but I drive it hard and don't care about that suspension :)) is complicated and probably expensive, it's available but I think you'd be better off with a body lift reliability wise.
 
Advise on suspension upgrade!!
Advise on suspension upgrade!!
Advise on suspension upgrade!!


It's a process. 🙂
 
Keep an eye on what @PetroleumJunkie412 is doing with his coil over setup, would probably be worthwhile.

As for your goals I would just go with a body lift to gain the tire clearance, lifting that suspension more than just cranking the torsion bars (which gives room for up to I think 32" tires, my Explorer rubs with 31's but I drive it hard and don't care about that suspension :)) is complicated and probably expensive, it's available but I think you'd be better off with a body lift reliability wise.
Yeah I don’t particularly want to go with a lifted suspension, but since it will be an off road truck I want to maintain as much capability as possible and in the suspension guide Jim mentioned losing wheel travel when the torsion bar is cranked.
 
What does the coil overs set up do for your ride height? If I remember reading correctly it removes the torsion bar right?
Yes, you will remove your torsion bars. They make a nice mailbox post.

Ride height? No idea. Still on jackstands. Should be done in a week or so.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top