4.0L Timing Chain Tensioner - no crush washer?


Featured Build Threads

mtnstyne

5+ Year Member

Joined
Nov 9, 2019
Messages
14
Points
601
City
38506
Vehicle Year
2002
Transmission
Manual
EDIT: as my old eyes uploaded the pictures to a larger screen I could see it on the tensioner. If I could figure out how to delete the post I would, sorry.

Replacing the timing chain tensioners on 2002 4.0 L 4x4 and I am confused about if there were no crush washers on these originally or if I am just not seeing them? Here is the passenger side rear I just removed. I took a pick to the outside lip and it certainly feels like it's just scratching aluminum and not catching anything.

Did they not use a crush washer sometimes?
 

Attachments

  • 4.0L Timing Chain Tensioner - no crush washer?
    Pic1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 4.0L Timing Chain Tensioner - no crush washer?
    pic2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
By your EDIT I see you have it figured out.

pic2, it sorta looks to me like you have a washer there in place. Have a look at post #84 in this thread:


When I bought my Ford Motorcraft tensioners they came w/ a seal gasket pre-installed on the tensioner. Don't know if yours are Ford OEM or not.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top