302 how big can i stroke it


Featured Build Threads

I think 337 is as big as you can go without grinding. It kind of depends on exactly how much grinding is unacceptable. I just went through this with my Capri.

3.25" stroke fits a factory block with scat crank and rods. 60 over seems kind of crazy for a stock block but if your machine shop thinks its fine please let us know!

If you are brave and go up to 3.4" stroke you have very small clearance issues. Rod bolts foul on the oil pan mounting flange. I think you need to remove a very small amount of the bottom of the piston skirt. Its an amount of grinding you can do at home in a short amount of time, but I can understand not wanting to deal with that.
 
Most 302 blocks do not have enough wall to bore 60 over safely. 30 or 40 usually is fine, but it is always a good idea to have the block sonic checked for wall thickness before boring it out. There is a guy locally trying to sell a DSS10 block that is 60 over, but the wall thickness is down to .087" on several of the bores. I am looking for a block, but not willing to risk it on that thin of walls, even on the non-thrust sides.
 
I think 337 is as big as you can go without grinding. It kind of depends on exactly how much grinding is unacceptable. I just went through this with my Capri.

3.25" stroke fits a factory block with scat crank and rods. 60 over seems kind of crazy for a stock block but if your machine shop thinks its fine please let us know!

If you are brave and go up to 3.4" stroke you have very small clearance issues. Rod bolts foul on the oil pan mounting flange. I think you need to remove a very small amount of the bottom of the piston skirt. Its an amount of grinding you can do at home in a short amount of time, but I can understand not wanting to deal with that.
ye it can be a hasle to make sure no metal shavings get in the block on bearings and things so you have to clean the block like twice after to be sure you are not going to ruin your motor and grinding the block and not accidently slipping and ruining a bore or something
 
even the big stroker will clear on many blocks just rotating it on the engine stand.... but wont at 3 k will smash the block rail and skirts. generally you want a typical coat hangers worth of clearance....


windsor 302...

yeah...60 over is a bad idea on a oem block ...this has been beat to death but none the less the deal.


351....you can get away with more often....just dont need to.

boring a block and cleaning up stock windsor cylinder heads is a waste of time and money.

its pathetic if you are looking for actual power.

you can mod a fox turbo setup and gap the rings to make good power....like competitive at least for a modern soccer mom explorer you might run into.

you will probably still lose....but not by bus lengths.



 
AC is for wimps.

There.
I said it.
I mean it.

It saps power and takes up valuable space. Unnecessarliy complicates things. Get rid of it. People lived for thousands of years without it.

Be a man.
You just added $500 to the asking price of my poverty-spec Datsun. I'm referring potential buyers to this post. 😉
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top