• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

distributor

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Im finishing up swapping my world casting heads and now its time to put the distributor back in but when i put it back in it doesnt seem to go down all the way down and i cant get the hold down bolt over it. anybody know whats wrong?
thanks,
morgan

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Im finishing up swapping my world casting heads and now its time to put the distributor back in but when i put it back in it doesnt seem to go down all the way down and i cant get the hold down bolt over it. anybody know whats wrong?
thanks,
morgan
was the cam removed/replaced? was the gear on the end of the distributor shaft changed??

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Good questions....

I'll add an observation when we did ours. had the same problem actually. Turned out the 'mark' that I made? (Two actually...one of where the rotor was pointing at before we pulled it...and one when the disty actually came out) The 2nd mark was pretty close..but I had to rotate the rotor just a degree or two from the mark so it would engage the oil pump shaft. It was realllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy close... Just enough off kilter so it wouldn't drop down the last 1/8" or so.

S-

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
No gears have been changed. The oil pump shaft at the very bottom of the distributor hole slants to the side and when i try to prop it back up the way its supposed to be it slumps back again. any ideas of what to do?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No gears have been changed. The oil pump shaft at the very bottom of the distributor hole slants to the side and when i try to prop it back up the way its supposed to be it slumps back again. any ideas of what to do?
I wonder if the shaft is no longer in the oil pump? There is a retainer that prevents this from happening though. I'd be tempted to prime the oil pump and see. I don't know where one can be bought though, the one I have was made out of an old distributor.

FWIW, I had the same issue getting mine in as Tedybear.

Pete

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I think the shaft is still in the oil pump because when i tried taking it out it just stayed in place.

BOHBOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Putting the distributor back in is a PITA. The star on the bottom of the shaft has to line back up and because of the gear, it will rotate slightly. Basically, you just play with it and wiggle it around until it goes back in. Once it goes in far enough that it solidly won't rotate, the hold down bolt will pull it in the last 1/8 inch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals