• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Techs

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
My employer has 2 c-max hybrids. They have asked me if I would be interested in maintaining/fixing these cars. I have never worked on one. I do not know too much about the systems and how they work with one another. My question is this, did you receive special training? I am assuming that you did. Would I be able to fix anything on these other then regular maintenance? Are these very Ford specific ? as in special tools/computers to diagnose repairs. The cars are fully loaded also, at a minimum I think I would need a service manual but even with that would the cost of tools be cost prohibitive?

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
At this point, I'm guessing that not only would you need a shop manual, you'd need diagnostic software, too. I'm sure "regular maintenance stuff" is information you could easily glean from the interwebz but more serious stuff would require hard/software you might not have.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, there isn't much that you are going to be able to do on them by yourself. It's almost all fully integrated with the electronics.

There is a lot on those that even we can't do because you can't buy service parts, just assemblies. On the other hand, there isn't a lot that goes wrong with them aside from the battery dying because people insist on leaving things plugged into charger ports.

Just make sure all your modules are fully updated. There was an emissions recall over it (14E02 I think). But even stuff as simple as brakes becomes complex on a hybrid.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
Thanks for the reply's. I was thinking that the cars would have to go to the dealer. I work for a non-profit. They are always looking for ways to save money on some things but spend it on things that you wouldn't think. I know that they would not buy any software or tools. The equipment mechanic is retiring and they want someone to work on all the equipment and vehicles, lawnmowers, snow blowers, chainsaws, leaf blowers, lawn tractors, trailers,plow truck, van, buses, and c-max. He used to do the power equipment and the rest was sent out, now they want one person to do all the repairs on every piece of equipment. I did not think of the brakes being an issue on the c-max but they are regenerative. I have never serviced that type.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know if this holds true on this new generation of hybrids, but on the first generation for Ford hybrids servicing the brake pads, which are not part of the regenerative braking system you mention, required special measures.

The regenerative system turns the electric motor on the trans into a generator to charge the traction battery, that's it's own system.

The service brakes, which wear backwards, because the front does literally nothing unless you are panic braking, but the rears operate normally. The problem is that normally, even with the key off and all, the ABS system will "exercise" the hydraulics using the fluid pump to generate pressure. If this happens, and it will, while you have the calipers off, POP, they expand and blow the pistons out. There was a service mode you can put it into to shut that down, but it required a scan tool to access.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
I've read a little about the system but have not found too much. I thought that the c-max would be more involved but had no idea to what extent. The people who are making the decisions are assuming it is just like any other car and it should be a piece of cake. They hold the same theory for every piece of equipment. There is no scan tool because all the tools we have are geared toward lawn equipment. Thank you for the info. That is the kind of stuff I was looking for. It will help me make an informed decision.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will be able to do basic maintenance like oil changes and tire rotations. Without advanced scanner equipment that will be the extent of it. You can't even replace the battery on most newer Fords properly without a scanner because they have a "smart" charging system, and if you don't tell the computer you replaced the battery it overcharges it and burns it up.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can't even replace the battery on most newer Fords properly without a scanner because they have a "smart" charging system, and if you don't tell the computer you replaced the battery it overcharges it and burns it up.
That's not very smart.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's not very smart.
I agree. I think it's an awful idea. Especially since we have battery problems and I don't get any extra time to reset the BMS.

The only neat thing that they were actually able to accomplish with it is that the car can monitor battery draw with the key off. It's really really useless, because if the battery dies that information gets wiped, but it's neat to have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals