• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck running lean. engine codes p0174 and p1151

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My truck keeps throwing the same 2 codes. P0174 and P1151. Iv changed everything I can think of to find the fix and have spent a ton of money. I have an idea figured Id ask before I start changing more parts. I put a cold air intake in my truck. Now my dad is very old school. I asked him how to clean the filter, he told me to use gas. Which I did. now i'm finding out that you arnt soposto do that. Could this be the cause of my problem? Or any other suggestions? Is the intake itself throwing the computer off? Any suggestions?

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
My truck keeps throwing the same 2 codes. P0174 and P1151. Iv changed everything I can think of to find the fix and have spent a ton of money. I have an idea figured Id ask before I start changing more parts. I put a cold air intake in my truck. Now my dad is very old school. I asked him how to clean the filter, he told me to use gas. Which I did. now i'm finding out that you arnt soposto do that. Could this be the cause of my problem? Or any other suggestions? Is the intake itself throwing the computer off? Any suggestions?
Well the first code means you probably screwed up the MAF, which wouldn't suprise me since you used gas to clean the filter, plus reusable filters need oil to work, so if you oiled it after cleaning, the MAF probably now has oil on the sensor. Use a paper filter and get some MAF cleaner.
This is also true for the second code, looks like these two codes tend to pop up together.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Please enumerate "everything I can think of" and translate into a list of parts replaced.

If you have put a new upstream oxygen sensor in, replaced the intake gaskets and made sure there are no other leaks, and it is not misfiring, then I would get rid of your cold air system since I have seen those cause this problem more than once, and then replace the MAF since gas will screw the sensor up and you doused your air filter in it for some reason.

BTW, you are supposed to clean them with water, let them dry, and then re-oil LIGHTLY.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Iv changed the MAF sensor didnt fix it, iv changed all vacum lines, all o2 sensors, and the intake gaskets

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok. Now I have to ask the stupid question, please don't take offense at this, I am only asking because I didn't see where you specifically said you did this...

Have you cleared the codes?

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, after everytime I change somthing, Iv got a code reader in my truck

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, after everytime I change somthing, Iv got a code reader in my truck
Ok. Like I said, at some point you get to where the common-sense stuff has been done and you have to start looking for the durrr just to make sure.

In all seriousness, I have seen these intake systems cause this issue. Every Mustang I have ever worked on for lean codes, this is where I made them start. Told them to go home, put the stock air box back on, unhook the battery for 20 min, and drive it for a week. Only a handful ever had the light come back on after that.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Any way to proprly put on a cold air intake so it doesnt throw a code?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The problem with them is that the computer is setup to run with the factory system. Changes in volume and temp of the air charge affect the amount of oxygen going in. If your intake system is a larger diameter than stock with a higher flow rate through the air filter the computer still thinks is is sampling from a 60mm tube when really it may be sampling a 70 or 75 mm tube (just making up numbers for the sake of an example) then it will calculate fuel for a 60mm charge. That extra volume is more than enough to send the needed increase in fuel over the limit.

The other problem is a lot of them don't seal well and let air in after the sensor.

Start by putting the factory parts back on and drive for a week. Since everything else has been replaced you need to confirm for sure that the aftermarket intake is the cause of the problem.

If the light stays out get some black RTV and put a light coat around the inside where the filter connects to the tube and where the tube connects to the throttle body.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The problem is I wasnt very gental when removing the old intake, Im pretty sure its broken :O

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals