• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Years to fit 98 heater box.

conyers73

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.5 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 Ford Ranger that will not heat. Someone has performed surgery and removed the door with the smaller electric motor on it. I have changed the thermostat, heater control valve and have hot hoses on both ends of heater core.

I want to know what years will fit a 1998 Ranger heater box so I can put back everything original. I am open to any suggestions that will make the heater work without changing the whole box.

Frustrated
Johnny:sad:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is pain in @$$ job, but depending on damage, you may not need to remove the entire box.

The flap door was dead in my '98 Ranger (cheap plastic broke). I removed the door motor (removing passenger's air bag made it SO much easier) and confirmed it worked (engine running to get vacuum, then changed temp shaft moved, so I knew it wasn't motor).

With that confirmed, I went into engine compartment via front fender well (removed fender liner). Then I removed the blower motor/ac assembly (one bolt is inside cab if I remember correctly). I moved a bunch of stuff temporarily away - cruise, overflow tank, etc)

With cover off, I could remove the busted flap and swap in the good one. Bunch of sharp edges and contortions to deal with to get new door into its pivots, all while being careful not to break it. Note: There are people selling replacement doors...

Then everything was reassembled. Took me about a morning to do, but now the Ranger has defrost!

If it doesn't make sense, let me know where and I will attempt to clarify.

Worst part for me was dropping the 1/4" ratchet into the void of the heater and having to get a magnet to fish it back out.

Don

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I would try what Don suggested before trying to swap out the whole box...

I can assure you that removing the box will be a major PITA if everything is as rusted as my 96 was...I had to cut off some of the bolts that Ford uses to secure this unit because the retainers they used (square hole nuts that fit the holes in the firewall) almost all managed to pop themselves out so they would not undo and somehow managed to still keep the heater box fastened to the firewall...

Maybe there is an easier way...but I didn't find it...

conyers73

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.5 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Don and Mark for your help and encouragement. I just ordered a new blend door and motor. I will try to replace it first.

Thanks again guys

Johnny

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals