• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Workshop plans

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Probably cutting it pretty close with the weight rating there...
My bad...it's a 2 ton version - if that's what you meant by the weight rating.
20210206_181748.jpg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My shop is a typical stick built building with 10' walls framed with 2x6s. I used I think R13 insulation in the walls and like R30 in the ceiling...all fiberglass. It stays pretty warm. I would probably use spray foam if I had built a pole barn although I'd probably try to do it myself... I think I had about a grand into fiberglass, having someone spray foam would have been 2-3 times higher than that. Kinda depends how warm you want it... I wanted to be able to make it 60 or 70 degrees inside when it's below zero outside.

Dunno what to suggest for a lift. I should have done 12' or 14' walls, my next shop will be bigger and taller... I'm basically in the same boat, I could do a shorty 2 post but that would be mostly useless for my purposes since I can't stand up underneath it. Might as well just do a rolling scissor lift... either way I'd only be changing tires or oil with it so what's the point. If your rafters are open and/or far apart, a 2 post positioned just right could be made to work though, you could get a cab between them. My buddy's pole barn rafters are like 8' apart, plenty of space.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
My shop is a typical stick built building with 10' walls framed with 2x6s. I used I think R13 insulation in the walls and like R30 in the ceiling...all fiberglass. It stays pretty warm. I would probably use spray foam if I had built a pole barn although I'd probably try to do it myself... I think I had about a grand into fiberglass, having someone spray foam would have been 2-3 times higher than that. Kinda depends how warm you want it... I wanted to be able to make it 60 or 70 degrees inside when it's below zero outside.

Dunno what to suggest for a lift. I should have done 12' or 14' walls, my next shop will be bigger and taller... I'm basically in the same boat, I could do a shorty 2 post but that would be mostly useless for my purposes since I can't stand up underneath it. Might as well just do a rolling scissor lift... either way I'd only be changing tires or oil with it so what's the point. If your rafters are open and/or far apart, a 2 post positioned just right could be made to work though, you could get a cab between them. My buddy's pole barn rafters are like 8' apart, plenty of space.
I'm leaning toward the pink stuff. The spray foam is expensive and I've read in a couple of places that fiberglass keeps it warmer if it's done right. Plus I can do that myself. I'll have to pay for the concrete. Roughing in the interior walls and running a 220 line I can also do. The lift is something that can wait, but has to be figured into it now. But like you I'm not really sure how much I'll actually use it.

Has anyone epoxied their floor? I'm not sure how that would hold up to the changes in temp during the colder months when I'm heating it up for few hours

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

I never ran into anything I could not do with under the lift with the 10ft ceiling. I could not stand under the lift, but that never caused a problem.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You can get unfaced fiberglass insulation - that's what I used on my walls. Cover it with some thin plastic drop cloth sheets stapled to the studs for a vapor barrier and you're good, unfaced is cheap too. The ceiling was the expensive part, I used kraft faced for that.

I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever paint or epoxy the floor of a building I'm working in. It will chip off and look like ass very quickly. Beer drinking room? Sure. Instead, I would recommend just having your concrete guy put a very smooth finish on it and seal it - done deal, easy to sweep and it always looks the same no matter how much work you do in there.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I never ran into anything I could not do with under the lift with the 10ft ceiling. I could not stand under the lift, but that never caused a problem.
If I have a lift I want to be able to stand straight up under a vehicle that's on it. I just feel like it's a necessity for me personally... I don't want to be hunched over running a grinder or not have a transmission jack fit under it.

I think for cars and short vehicles it's probably not a big deal but if we're talking about even a stock Super Duty like mine, a couple feet off the ground has the cab touching the ceiling.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If I have a lift I want to be able to stand straight up under a vehicle that's on it. I just feel like it's a necessity for me personally... I don't want to be hunched over running a grinder or not have a transmission jack fit under it.

I think for cars and short vehicles it's probably not a big deal but if we're talking about even a stock Super Duty like mine, a couple feet off the ground has the cab touching the ceiling.
I thought a tall truck would be a problem too when I was using my lift and you are right, you can't lift it as high as a car. But I found out even though you can't lift the truck as high, it already has more room under it before you even start to raise the lift so it's not a problem. I did a complete c6 to zf transmission swap on my f250 with the lift like that with no problems.

I made myself a custom scooter with wheels on it to sit on and roll under the lift when working. One difference is you need to access the underneath from the front or the rear on the scooter, it's too difficult to duck your head and go under the side on a 4 post lift. But with the scooter there is no head ducking, just when you roll past the rearend which is normal for when you are standing under a lift also.

I have a 12ft+ ceiling now with the lift, and I do have more options and it's a little nicer. But if all you have is a 10ft ceiling you can make it work. I am so spoiled now having a lift at home to do oil changes and other work.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

I would prefer to heat the new slab.... With actual lowtox coolant not water with a gas boiler if geo is too much of an issue...

. And isolate it as the work shop. That is not cheap. But a very comfortable luxury.

Otherwise use a mr cool minisplit. Very cost effective. I prefer AC when possible and it does both.

There are tons of options for movable lifts...

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
Update:
Concrete getting poured this week - Wednesday, weather permitting. 6-inch, gravel base, 4,000-psi and rebar.
Took a week to clean all the crap out. Excavate and pour the first day. Clean-up and cut lines day two.
Fingers crossed. Prayers said. :yahoo:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What fun is it going to be if your creeper rolls across it smoothly and easily?

Sounds like you'll have a good solid floor. I hope it goes well.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yay!

I just looked at that MaxJax link... I see possibilities. Add a cup holder to the chair... a head rest.... turn on my big fan... I could probably even take a nap.

cschannuth

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
255/60-15
My credo
Expect nothing and I’m like really disappointed
The spray in gives you much better insulation and makes your building much more airtight. Unfortunately it is several times more expensive than the pink stuff. In a pole barn, since you don’t have normal stud spacing you would either have to add studs for the pink stuff or use a spray in. You would also have to add a ceiling if you’re going to use the pink stuff.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
I've looked at the spray in and unfortunately, the cost is way outta my range. Believe me, I would love that, but...
I hafta keep my head down for a bit after paying for the floor :censored: - the CFO is not really happy about that. Next is the wall that separates the work shop from the rest of the barn. And then go from there.

An interesting side note is in talking to the concrete contractor, who's company also builds Pole Barns, said to not even bother with the insulating the walls. It would be more beneficial to simply lay a hard foam ceiling over the 10 foot rafters of the engineeed roofing joists. Since most of the heat loss is up not out. He mentioned percentages and crap and my eyes started to roll back so he stopped.

So we'll see. Right now I'm just happy to get the floor in.

Thanks for all your comments and interest.
r

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I agree that insulating the ceiling or at least just sheathing the ceiling is more of a priority than the walls but both are definitely important... Especially in a pole barn, they almost always have a lot of gaps to leak heat just because of how they are constructed. And uninsulated walls will sweat... It's especially bad if you use an invented heater.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would talk more with the pole barn people. I thought they had large insulating blankets that are white on one side for the large spans in pole barns?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals