• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

With no new Rangers available?

k3eaxk3eax

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I might like to buy a new truck in a year or so. And with no new Rangers available, are there any suggestions for a a 4-cylinder/manual trans. and otherwise basic truck from another manufacturer?

Al

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a Nissan Frontier that I bought about two years ago and I really liked it. Mileage was around 20 on average. Fairly quite for a pickup. And handled on the road wonderfully. It was a manual also and shifted pretty smooth for a truck tranny. For the year and a half I owned it it never had any issues and I drove the piss out of it. Only put it on the street though. Sold due to being a college student and I no longer had a military salary to depend on.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Suzuki Equator is a rebadged Nissan. Decent trucks. Our family has had decent luck with the few Nissan's we have owned.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a new Colorado coming out at some point.

Then there is always the "T" company too. :secret:

Nice low mile four cylinder Rangers should be fairly easy to come by for a couple years yet too.

azreb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
I'll second (or is it third) the Nissan suggestion. I bought a year old 4-banger 5 speed stick Nissan pickup in 2002 that got 29 mpg on the highway. Only reason I traded it off is that SWMBO wanted something a bit bigger. Replaced it with a 6 cyl '04 Nissan crew cab. That was a very reliable machine until it met a Dodge 4x4 head-on.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Whatever you do, don't buy an F-150.

I read this in an article:

Since its last redesign in 1998, Ford has toyed with updating or replacing the Ranger for years — but decided a new model would only compete too closely with the F-Series pickups for a shrinking pool of customers. And where fuel economy had once been the Ranger's reason for existence, technology has caught up; the twin-turbo V-6 F-150 pickup now gets better mileage than the top-end Ranger.
And a Ford Spokesman stated this:

"The compact pickup segment in the U.S. has been declining — from almost 8 percent of total industry sales in 1994 to 2 percent of industry sales in 2010," said Ford spokesman Mike Levine "The F-Series works best for customers in North America."
Ford should expect that sales will decline when you go so many years without a redesign.

Earlier this year, Ford launched a new Ranger in Asia that will eventually be sold in 188 countries. Larger than the current Ranger but still smaller than an F-150, Ford stuffed the new global Ranger with a host of new tech, from touch-screen navigation to new fuel-efficient diesel engines.

The two countries where it won't be sold: the United States and Canada. In Australia, where the new Ranger has won strong plaudits from reviewers, the base model costs $28,000, more than what a larger, well-equipped F-150 can be bought for here. Top-end models touch $40,000, unheard-of prices for a small pickup on these shores.

I personally believe Ford is trying to steer people to buy F-150's. In fact, somewhere here in the forum a member had mentioned a while back that when he was at a dealership looking at a Ranger, the sales person was trying to steer him to the F-150 instead.

cman24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know I'm moving to a Toyota when i get the money although it's gonna be an FJ cruiser not a pickup but i'm sure most small pickups are pretty good now but i know toyota pickups have a very good history but just go on different forums and i'm sure you will find what your looking for by the time your ready

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
I'd get a Nissan Frontier.

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Id go for a yota. Toyota built their reputation on their small trucks.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

I read this in an article:

And a Ford Spokesman stated this:

Ford should expect that sales will decline when you go so many years without a redesign.

Earlier this year, Ford launched a new Ranger in Asia that will eventually be sold in 188 countries. Larger than the current Ranger but still smaller than an F-150, Ford stuffed the new global Ranger with a host of new tech, from touch-screen navigation to new fuel-efficient diesel engines.

The two countries where it won't be sold: the United States and Canada. In Australia, where the new Ranger has won strong plaudits from reviewers, the base model costs $28,000, more than what a larger, well-equipped F-150 can be bought for here. Top-end models touch $40,000, unheard-of prices for a small pickup on these shores.

I personally believe Ford is trying to steer people to buy F-150's. In fact, somewhere here in the forum a member had mentioned a while back that when he was at a dealership looking at a Ranger, the sales person was trying to steer him to the F-150 instead.
If Ford would have updated the engines in the Ranger like the F-150 then the Ranger would be far superior with gas mileage. When Ford put the 4.0L in the Mustang they were advertising MPG at around 28.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with getting a toyota

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is if they made the jump from compact to midsize, it would eat into the F-150's. A V6 F-150 wasn't much more money than a 4.0 Ranger, I would go with the F-150 for just a couple bucks more in heartbeat.

I trumped a Ranger for a '150 back in '05, I would eagerly do it again.

If Ford would have updated the engines in the Ranger like the F-150 then the Ranger would be far superior with gas mileage. When Ford put the 4.0L in the Mustang they were advertising MPG at around 28.
Same engine in a completly different vehicle. My brother's 412hp 5.0 Mustang can get that on flat going now that it is getting some runtime under its belt... with 3.73 gears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals