• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring a 88 electric transfer case

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
I have a problem with my electric tcase in my 88 ranger Ive checked through the site and cant find the answer. 4wd and 2wd work fine but when I try 4low the light blinks for a few seconds and nothing. Since its my trail only vehicle and I'm pretty sure its a wiring problem so how can I wire it up to lock in 4lo? If its possible I would like to be able to just throw a toggle switch on it and be done with b/c when in 4hi it works great.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
have you checked for codes? it is possable that the vehicle speed sensor is bad or the shift motor is bad.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
go through the diagnostic sequence described in the transfer case troubleshooting page in the technical library. It will lead you through step by step how to figure out what's wrong.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
I checked through there and it didnt help any. idk if its shootin a code though. Can I just pull the motor off and turn the rod with Vice grips to lock it in 4lo? its weird its shifts fine from 2wd to 4 hi just wont go to 4lo

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Sounds like one of the safety switches is holding it up. If it's a manual you have to be stopped foot on clutch and brake, and auto needs to be in neutral with foot on brake.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
O **** nvm then thats my problem didnt know the clutch had shit to do with it Ive been just tryin on neutral I'll give it a try tomorrow. Anyway my question still stands about the shift rod incase the motor lets go on the trail...

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
yes. remove the 3 bolts that hold the shift motor to the t-case, remove the motor and you can shift the case by hand with a pair of vice grips.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
There are a set of four contacts inside the motor that register different combinations of open/closed with the module to tell the module what position it is in, and therefore when to stop spinning the motor. Just isntalling a toggle switch isn't going to work because you won't know when to stop for 4hi and neutral.The only way to do it without the module would be to design a system of about a half dozen relays to power a light that indicates what gear you're in so you can let go of the switch. And you'd have to have a switch to go in the 2hi-4lo direction as well as the 4lo-2hi direction. It could be done, but the wiring would be a hell of a project.

My motor contacts were reporting an invalid combination so the module didn't know wtf was going on and just wouldn't shift. I removed all doubt by buying a manual shift transfer case. I still have all the electric shift parts if you need anything, the module is fine but I need to take apart the motor and clean up the contacts before it would be usable.

Last edited:

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
Got it in 4lo thanks sorry I had to make a post about all this so as long as it doesnt kick out I'll be fine and no more stupid questions.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
So what did the solution turn out to be?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals