• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wiper motor not functioning right

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I bought a 1994 ranger and and the wiper motor did not work and im not sure if it had been replaced because the wires were cut and put back together. I saw that the fuse was missing so I put it in and as soon as I did the motor started running and I heard plastic grinding and I took the fuse back out. I took the cover off of the motor and took off the plastic gear and of course it was stripped. But that is the least of my problems. The motor keeps running unless the wipers are all of the way up (vertical) then it stops.. Even with the switch in the off position, the motor will keep running unless I move the wipers vertically. Keep in mind that all of the procedures were done without the plastic gear connected to the motor and wiper. My questions are: Why does the motor keep running and why does it cease to run when the wipers are vertical?

Thanks in advance! It has been very sketchy driving in the rain and with a foggy windshield!!!

Crossthreader

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like somebody who shouldn't go near a tool box tried to "fix" something. The thing to do now is get another motor, and align it properly with the transmission so the wipers park at the bottom of the windshield. The motor keeps running now because it is trying to find the place to park the wipers, but can't because they don't move. When you move the wipers, the park switch opens and the motor can stop.

Paul

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The bushing on the linkage rod was seized so that is why the old motor was stripped. Replaced the motor and freed up the bushing and got it all back together. Works like a charm!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals